corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Sanding my front bumper..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sanding my front bumper..
the_legend_of_yrag

User status: Offline
7th Aug 03 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i have a painted front bumper, and i want to to sand it all down and get it smooth again to be customised then sprayed.

I bought some 180 wet n dry today but its taking ages! What would you recomend to start with? 40? 80? Then what shall i use after that?

Cheers
MattyB

7th Aug 03 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would not recommend any under 140 grit, as it will score the fiberglass, causing more headaches that u originally had!

Stick to wot ur using mate, but use it dry for the harshest sanding action.

Matt
MikeH

7th Aug 03 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i'd say if it's going to be customised with fibreglass or something.... get the gloss paint off but don't bother getting a good finish on iot till it's finished being customised.

Once ready work your way down to the smoothest wet'n'dry you can find... finally using it wet.
the_legend_of_yrag

7th Aug 03 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gunna get the top coat of paint off, not bother with the primer coat, then customize it, then get the primer coat off, so i could then start preparing it to be sprayed.

I will top up on 140 grit then n use some elbow grease!!

Where the numberplate sits in the bumper i was gunna fill it with p38 filler to make it smoothed over any recomendations on that?
corsa.in.boro

7th Aug 03 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that all you are doin to the bumper? and where u going to put the number plate afetr uve smoothed it?
the_legend_of_yrag

7th Aug 03 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill put it on the bottom, i would post a pic but my digi can dnt work, im also extending and cutting new holes for mesh. If i can get a digi cam sorted i will post up pics of progress!

Bearing in mind its my first attempt at customising!!
corsa.in.boro

7th Aug 03 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good, what do mean by extending holes? look forward to see the pics.
the_legend_of_yrag

7th Aug 03 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bumper has foglamp holes, but i have no foglamps so im cutting them out and extending the hole! Hopefully itl b fully sanded on saturday and i might have time to start chopping away. Will borrow a mates cam!
MattyB

7th Aug 03 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag

Where the numberplate sits in the bumper i was gunna fill it with p38 filler to make it smoothed over any recomendations on that?

This will crack. Remember to use P40 FG Filler as much as possible. P38 when used excessively, will crack. Even a recess 3-5mm deep needs fillin with P40 FG first, THEN and only then a paper thin layer or P38 to finish it.

ONCE AGAIN SO U AND ALL OTHERS KNOW, P38 altho easy to sand and use etc, cracks very easily, especially if its a deep layers. Ur aim is to create most of ur work from p40, then finish it with p38

Matt

New Poll