corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Beetle - A New Beginning

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Beetle - A New Beginning
Tiger

User status: Offline
28th Aug 03 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sis just bought a '74 beetle off my mate - it had been sitting on his driveway uncared for for 2 years now, wheels flat paint faded etc.

Today ive spent going round all the components of the engine checking that everything is ok and cleaning the carb, checking points, plugs etc.

Now this car hasnt been ran since 2001 so i thought it would take some time - i took the HT lead off the distributer and got some oil pumping round for 15-20 turns then reconnected it.

Turned the key in the ignition again and first turn of the engine you could hear the aircooled hum from the back. I couldnt believe it had fired first turn after standing for so long.

I left it for 20 mins running then tried the dreaded hot start - again started first time.

Theres something bout VW aircooled engines - they are just so nice to work on, they are all laid out so well and are just easy to maintain - obviously unless something serious goes wrong but that only happens when they are neglected.

Im more into the damn car than she is now!!!!

Ben_
Daimo B

28th Aug 03 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old beetles are cool. A mate of mine has been builing his old show car up. It had a 1300cc engine, and he's used that and buuilt it into a 2.1, twin carb monster. Should be doing 14's 1/4s by the time he's done. Running a 195/50 tyre on the rear and a Shitron 2CV front tyres

Old beetles are cool!
Tiger

28th Aug 03 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good - this is a '74 with a 1600 in - sounds cool though. Gonna get 4 new wings for it coz they are bubbling a bit - wings are £21.95 each though + painting. Apart from the front bumper the chromes pretty good on it still but i suspect it will get treated to new bumpers - it will be made to its original condition. Im gonna do a rewire on the engine bay though coz it gets a bit tatty.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Beetle - A New Beginning 22 database queries in 0.0095251 seconds