corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New SQ system for £400-£450

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New SQ system for £400-£450
hollerz

User status: Offline
10th Oct 03 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,
I dont know much about car audio, and dont wanna spend much, so I was hoping someone could help me choose a new system for my car! I want sound quality, but want it to play pretty loud I have a Corsa Club "B", but dont know how deep the doors are etc. for speakers.

I have about £400 - £450 to spend on everything, head unit, speakers, amp and sub(s). I am thinking about jumping straight in and building a false floor etc. or something similar for my boot for the sub.

Few more questions...

Anyone know how to get the stock head unit out? Someone suggested going to halfords to get a tool, but they didn't have any. I was gonna attach a pic so you can see which one it came with, but camera seems to have broke lol, and gotta go to school. So if you want a pic, just ask and I will get one tonight.

This will probably sound stupid. but the speaker grille things on the door, I unscrewed all the screws and it wont come off, i tried pulling, sliding etc. but cant get it off. Anyone know how too?!

The tweeters in the arm rest thing (with the handle), if I get component speakers, will the tweeters fit in here, and how do I get them off? I cant remember, but I dont think there was any screws last time I looked.

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Lee

[Edited on 10-10-2003 by hollerz]
antonOO2

10th Oct 03 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

450 wont get you too far mate ,i would say that would just about buy the HU and the comps of a good quality
DIGGIDY

10th Oct 03 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to take time in building a SQ system... they cost many $$ dollars $$ and £450 won't get you what your after...

Your looking at anything from 250-350 for a good head unit(Alpine is your best bet for SQ)

A set of good component will cost you 100-250 or more

A decent Sub will set you back 100-200

and amps....

amps are where all the silly money goes...

your looking 150/200-1000+ each!!

your best bet is get an Alpine HU for bout £250, nice set of components up frout Infinity's are good for the money bout £99

A resonable 4 channel amp capable of powering the front comps correctly, then bridge the 3/4 channels and get a cheap 12" sub to go on with...
TOMAS

10th Oct 03 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed that is a small amount of money but I know of many excellent CHEAP sq systems. Major factors are simplicity and INSTALL! You wont get loud and sq for cheap, i'd go one way or the other. I'd keep it to a single sub and maybe run just a set of components off a powerfull headunit with single amp and sub. But you MUST make the effort on the install, maybe build custom door pods to angle the mids and tweets and practice with different sub enclosures. Ported would be most efficient if you are running a not so powerfull amp for the sub, but for god's sake tune it otherwise it will sound like a big wet fart.
hollerz

10th Oct 03 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your advice! I know it isn't that much money, but i only work part time and dont wanna spend loads of money just on this, maybe £500 max! anyway, i've been looking around, and what do you think about this...

Pioneer Head Unit - £130

Pheonix Gold Components - £85

Pheonix Gold 12" Sub - £85

Kenwood 4 Channel Amp £140

That comes to £340 so if I can get better than the above for not too much extra, tell me!

I really dont know what are good and what are bad brands, but these seemed pretty good to me. If I need better stuff, help me out!

Cheers!
SteveW

10th Oct 03 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude, that amp is gonna die trying to run all that. Get 2 amps
TOMAS

11th Oct 03 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No all that comes to £440. Ohhh the maths...
hollerz

12th Oct 03 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

No all that comes to £440. Ohhh the maths...

hmmm typo

are the Pheonix Gold Octane-R 6.5 Components any good? I think I will get a head unit and speakers first, then an amp and sub when I save up more money.

I know the speakers wont be very good off the head unit, but i'd rather be able to save up more for better amp and sub!

So If theres any better speakers and head unit for around the same price....

Cheers

[Edited on 12-10-2003 by hollerz]
TOMAS

12th Oct 03 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"I know the speakers wont be very good off the head unit,"

The speakers will be fine off the headunit, you just wont be able to take them as far as you would with an amp, just realise they have limits and keep within them. It will still be very SQ just not as loud as perhaps running them off an amp. Tooo many people run the setup you mentioned and worry too much about how the sub sounds and just let the front speakers distort to death.

New Poll