corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » engine potential

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author engine potential
stevegreetham

User status: Offline
30th Oct 03 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Text Purple alrite, am steve btw, new to this site, i'm 17 and only just passed my test....n e way, i have a 1998 R reg 1.2 8v and want more power. i can possibly get hold of a 'cheapish' pipercoss viper induction kit and i am planning on installing a custom made powerflow exhaust system. what else can be done???? cheers, steve
corsa_godfather

30th Oct 03 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate 1.2 8vs are by fae the worst 1.2 engine made for performance!stick with 15s,full system no cat,drill airbox and get panel filter.thats bout it
stevegreetham

30th Oct 03 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer, i see ya point. although a m8 of a m8 has the same car, just bought sum piper fast road cams, has a pipercross induction kit, full system and a ew other smaller changes and his is 'fast-ish' he has raced 1.6's and won. i dunno m8????????? if i de cat it then dunt that mean it'll fail its mot?
MikeH

30th Oct 03 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and lose as much weight from the car (and yourself) as possible
Kris TD

30th Oct 03 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stevegreetham
yer, i see ya point. although a m8 of a m8 has the same car, just bought sum piper fast road cams, has a pipercross induction kit, full system and a ew other smaller changes and his is 'fast-ish' he has raced 1.6's and won. i dunno m8????????? if i de cat it then dunt that mean it'll fail its mot?

i doubt it, even with cams they arent gonna be more than 60 bhp, the 1.6 are 106/109 with a lot more torque.
corsa_godfather

30th Oct 03 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same here find that hard to believe mate
stevegreetham

30th Oct 03 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wanna lob a 1.6 engine in but wiv me only being 17 the insurance companys wont really like it will they. i'll ring em up or sommats. if this plan fails then i'll probs just do wot i can to my 1.2 for a few years.....advice welcome
Kris TD

30th Oct 03 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 1.2's not bad around town, it just lacks power in higher gears.
OFcorsa

31st Oct 03 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i were you bud,i would look at getting a cheapish viper but you dont want to be paying £250. how much is this cheapish kit? and open up a seperate account whereby you put so much in a month and before you know it you'll have saved for a 1.6 and ready to go fast. and dont forget to wash behind your ears!
miles

31st Oct 03 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forget about tuning it mate, its a complete waste of money to be honest. There is pretty much nothing to be gained, and what is, isn't worth the expense.
Cybermonkey

31st Oct 03 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The most that can be squeezed out of these economical engines is about 10bhp fo you are lucky. Even then you will be hard pushed to hit 60 in under 15 seconds. These are shit slow, and at 17, concentrate on looks and ICE. Keep 15's though or your 0-60 time will be way over 20 seconds! Just save save save for an engine conversion when you have some NCB built up and get an engine transplant or a better Corsa
Matt_P

31st Oct 03 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or install a MOS system wif Rabbit and Hare turbos

(confused? see http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=99031 )

On a serious note save your money and get a conversion or a more powerful corsa to start with.. I'd get yours looking nice know and then by the time you have say 2 years NCB you'll get a better quote on a more powerful engine.

[Edited on 31-10-2003 by Matt_P]
groom

31st Oct 03 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want mos system
OFcorsa

31st Oct 03 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please read my post it will help you, i am in the same boat as you and dont let it worry you, you are 17 you have plenty of time to get that car you have always wanted!
stevegreetham

31st Oct 03 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh, cheers lads, uve all been a great help. i think i am gonna get meself sum new wheels and a bodykit and probs do up my car in anyway i can without touching the engine. In the meantime i am gonna save for a 2.0 conversion. N e one have n e ideas about how much it would cost (inc the engine) to transform my 1.2 8 v to a 2.0 16v????
I believe i live closeby to a garage that does the conversions so i'll giv them a call.
Another thing is...i rang my insurance company with regards to a bodykit and they said that i can do woteva i like to my car aslong as the value of it doesnt go over the 30,000 quid mark. Thinkin about this now, i mite ring back and say about lobbin a 2.0 engine in and c if they still say i can do what i like who knows...worth a try innit.

New Poll