corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how do ya get to rear wheel bearing on corsab

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how do ya get to rear wheel bearing on corsab
corsa120

User status: Offline
19th Sep 04 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does the cap just yank off and then a socket behind as wanna wack a load of grease back in it
Mistamist

19th Sep 04 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cap off, take out split pin, undo castle nut, take out washer, remove outer bearing, take off brake drum, take off inner bearing, clean with brake cleaner to remove old grease, then grease everything up again and put back.
Sims

19th Sep 04 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only hard part is removing the bast drum. took me and my girlfriends dad a while to get the bloody thing off
fax2004

19th Sep 04 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont tighten the bearing bolt up as tight as you can, just nip it and put in split pin
CorsAsh

19th Sep 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My reply from another thread about rear wheel bearings...

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I've done it prob about 3 or 4 times...

Costs about £20 tops for everything you need, usually more like £15...

Take off wheel, remove the little cap thing you see in the middle of the drum with a screwdriver. You'll see a castellated nut underneath with a split pin thru it. Take the pin out and the nut off along with the toothed washer underneath.

You'll now be able to remove the drum from the hub. If it doesn't wanna come off easily, pop your wheel back on, put a couple of bolts in and pull on the wheel, will come off a lot easier.

The front bearing will just drop out... you will have to prize off the rubber oil seal from the back of the drum (you'll know what I mean when you see it, round rubber washer thing in the middle) to get the inner bearing out.

Once you done this, use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to tap out the housings from the drum. If you clean away all the grease, you'll see a notch in the casting on the drum where you can get the screwdriver into to tap out the housing. Do this with both housings.

Then get your new housings, put some lubricant round their outer face, and on the inner face of the drum where they go, and drift them into place slowly. Take care not to let them go in at an angle, as this'll be a pain in the arse to straighten out.

Once you got the housings in, put grease onto them and around each bearing. Pop the bearings into place, then replace the rubber oil seal on the inside, usually get a new one with bearing kit. Put the drum and new bearings on, put the toothed washer back, then screw on the castellated nut ***FINGER TIGHT ONLY*** or your car will munch through your bearings in a matter of weeks (believe me, I know!)

When you've put the nut on, put the split pin back in (if the nut doesn't line up with the hole in the axle, unscrew it til it does. Then replace the grease cap, put your wheel back on, job done!

Don't think I missed anything, good luck! If you're still not sure, you can borrow a Haynes manual from local library usually...

corsa120

19th Sep 04 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basically u dont need a puller kit for rear bearings
CorsAsh

19th Sep 04 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope.
Adam-D

19th Sep 04 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to get old racers out i set drum on two blocks of wood and with a screwdriver and hammer bashed it out

new one in you cant do that or itll damage it so i used a big socket to push it in

New Poll