corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop user arrested for ‘illegal log-on’ to house wi-fi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop user arrested for ‘illegal log-on’ to house wi-fi
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 07 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

A man who was seen using his laptop in the street has been arrested on suspicion of illegally logging on to a wireless (Wi-Fi) broadband connection.

Two officers saw the 39-year-old man sitting on a garden wall outside a home in Chiswick, West London. When questioned he admitted using the homeowner’s unsecured broadband connection from his position on the wall. He was arrested and the case was passed to the Metropolitan Police Computer Crime Unit. He was bailed to return in October and faces a fine or a jail term of six months, or both.

Detective Constable Mark Roberts gave warning that anyone caught illegally “hitching” or “piggy-backing” on to another’s wireless broadband connection could face arrest.

“This arrest should act as a warning to anyone who thinks it is acceptable to illegally use other people’s broadband connections,” he said. “To do so potentially breaches the Computer Misuse Act and the Communications Act, so computer users need to be aware that this is unlawful and police will investigate any violation we become aware of.”

The man was arrested under section one of the Computer Misuse Act and Section 125 of the Communications Act 2003. The first conviction for this offence was in 2005. Gregory Straszkiewicz, then 24, from Ealing, is believed to have been seen sitting in his car using his laptop outside the house of a Wi-Fi subscriber in West London. He had been seen in the neighbourhood before by a local resident and reported to the police.

When police examined his laptop, they discovered that he had logged on several times before. He was found guilty of dishonestly obtaining an electronic communication service and his computer and wireless card were confiscated, he was fined £500 and given a 12-month conditional discharge.

link: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article2310670.ece

becareful.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Aug 07 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the mans whos internet he was using should also be arrested for using such a rubbish unsecured setup
willay
Premium Member

23rd Aug 07 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of course steve.
Richie

23rd Aug 07 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This country is getting more stupid by the day.

Someone I know has been doing this for the past 4 days in London... but the signal keeps dropping out so he's given up

?!
pow
Premium Member

23rd Aug 07 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in Chiswick today, thats where my Grandparents live

But seriously, if he can afford a laptop, surely he canafford some broadband.
Hammer

23rd Aug 07 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'It's almost like reading a book using the light from next door neighbours window'

I like that analogy
Marc

23rd Aug 07 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate uses his neighbours wireless for his PSP
pdwhelan

23rd Aug 07 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is bollocks tbh.. OK its illegal but its the owners fault for having such an unsecure network and leaving it open to all sorts. A fine is acceptable i sopose.. but if the guy was just browsing the internet and doing somthing most internet uses do then the punishment shouldnt be so harsh. people who do leave such networks open are risking all sorts anyway.. especialy if using online banking, oline shopping.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Aug 07 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul its the guy who logged onto the wireless network's fault, no one elses. Yes there was an open wireless network but it doesnt mean it should be used.

If you come across a open bank vault it doesnt mean it isnt illegal to walk in and take some money.
pdwhelan

23rd Aug 07 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know its the guys fault for logging in.. but i sopose he could of got away with it by saying.. oh realy i thought this was an internet "hotspot" and was free access etc etc that would just make him look dumb and could maybe of gotten away with it. of course he would need to prove why he thought it was and hope that the router he connected to didnt have a stupid name that was obvious

could just say that he was reading/typing a document and all of a sudden he saw somthing pop up saying wireless connection avialable... im blabbering (but i hope you get my point)

[Edited on 23-08-2007 by pdwhelan]
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Aug 07 at 00:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could claim that if you wanted laughing it.

You have to remember these are not serious crimes in the grand scheme of things and therefore the burden of proof is lower.

Interestingly, this conviction as well as the previous cautions were Communications Act not Computer Misuse. Presumably because the former is easier to evidence, ie. use of the service through evidence of downloads and history rather than access to a network which in a standard home set-up would not be logged.

I'm curious to learn as to whether or not this guy had a connection himself as this would certainly offer doubt over whether downloads were routed through his own or another connection.

Neither the laptop or router is likely to have logged this.

I'm assuming he doesn't, therefore the material on the examined laptop must have come from other peoples connections.

[Edited on 24-08-2007 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

24th Aug 07 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some routers store which ip and mac addresses have connected to it. i believe the netgear router you have does this ian
pow
Premium Member

24th Aug 07 at 07:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 3com does that Steve. Even if you dont secure the network, at least MACaddress filter it!
pdwhelan

24th Aug 07 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes some routers do store details of the computer logged onto it.. it displays host name, ip, mac address! and even after the connection is not there it will still hold the information. My bt home hub and other routers i have had in the past have always had these details of when it was last used and how long for etc.

Quite handy.. i once cought someone connecting up to my brothers wireless conection on a router they had bought a few weeks previous.. i was just browsing through it making sure they had a password on it and to my suprize it didnt and someone was connected to it .

I couldnt find how to turn the security on so i had to block mac addresses somehow and then forward the main computer so it worked. (was fine after that)

[Edited on 24-08-2007 by pdwhelan]
Aaron

24th Aug 07 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ex has been using someone else's wireless for over a year
dave17

24th Aug 07 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im trying to use my neighbours wireless for my wii
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Aug 07 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my router does DHCP lease list which is IP, MAC and hostname but when the lease expires the information is gone.

Also says that police examined his laptop, not the neighbours router.

New Poll