corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Machanic Help please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Machanic Help please
demondriver

User status: Offline
13th Dec 07 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you get a track rod end done at a garage do they HAVE to do the tracking as ive has one done today and they aint sorted the tracking out, whats the legal stuff with this if any? do they have to do it or not? any help given appreciated.
ian
Dean_W

13th Dec 07 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legally, they don't

Recommended to do it though after replacement. Some people just count the turns and then put the new one on with the same turns.
scottmmw

13th Dec 07 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tried counting the turns but coz it was siezed it went badly wrong lol. get your tracking sorted you will know when its not right.
demondriver

13th Dec 07 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can tell now its not right, is it something i can do myself? or is it a machanic job? big job? how much you recon it costs? cheers ian
phil_sutton

13th Dec 07 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you went to a garage an asked them fit a new track rod end then they do just that, if you ask them to fit the rod end an track it up they will do that.

To do it you need a set of tracking gauges, the pikey way is either do it my eye or use some really long sticks and measure the distance between them.
scottmmw

13th Dec 07 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well you could keep adjusting it and then do test drives but thats just guna take ages. take it to the garage coz they have these things they clamp on your wheels and a machine reads the angle of your wheels so the mechanic will know which wheel to correct. shud cost between £20 and £35 i think.
phil_sutton

13th Dec 07 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ it doesnt tell you which wheel to adjust just what angle between them needs to changed. I know a few retard mechanics that have wound the wrong end out so thats its only held on by 1 thread an the wheel has fell off down the road.
demondriver

13th Dec 07 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well its a mate of mine who has done it for the mot so surely he should of done it?
Dean_W

13th Dec 07 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by demondriver
well its a mate of mine who has done it for the mot so surely he should of done it?

No, if you've said fit this for me he would have said OK. And fitted the track rod end. If you said fit this and track it up for me, he would have done that........
ainsley_brader

13th Dec 07 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh I would never fit a track rod end and not get it tracked regardless ofw hat exactly the customer had said.
But I dont see the problem just speak to your mate about it see if he can track it, if not just take it somewhere and get it done!

New Poll