corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Audio Electrics FRIED!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Audio Electrics FRIED!
holywoodj

User status: Offline
14th Jan 08 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys hope you can help or at least give me some idea how much this will cost.

Just bought a used 1998R 1.7 Diesel - great on fuel but a biatch for tax. But there are bigger problems at hand...

I feel so disheartened and like I've completely ruined the car. Whilst fitting my stereo today, removed from my old Corsa (RIP). Smoke started pouring out from behind the player and even made its way out of the gaps behind the steering wheel, so there must have been alot. The player worked fine until I actually pushed it into the stereo slot. My fear is that some of the wires touched and sparked of something. The fact of the matter is the original wires that go into the built in stereo (old tape player thing) have fried as well as the CD players connector/converter leads/connectors. The converting leads are obviously replaceable and easily detachable but the ones that go directly into the car audio system are not. The wires are visibly melted and there is no smoking now probably cause there's no power.

Is this possible to get fixed or must I live without music for the rest of the time I have this car?

Thanks for any comments.

[Edited on 14-01-2008 by holywoodj]
ryan_fowler1985

15th Jan 08 at 02:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy enough cut the plugs and a length of cable from a car in the scrappy and join them up colour for colour should be easy, remove the ashtray for better access
Richie

15th Jan 08 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U'd you back mate.... need to know where you are before I could consider looking at it.

To be honest a fuse should have blown well before it had a chance to start melting wires.

Hopefully the original car loom will not have suffered any damage from the incident. Is it just the ISO connector that has melted (the black block that goes into the back of the original stereo) or have the wires behind that melted as well?

Can you get a picture so I can see how bad it is?
holywoodj

15th Jan 08 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey Richie, I'll get a picture in just a minute. The wires behind the ISO connector have melted, I'm not sure how far down, but I don't thing it's too far. Stick around for that picture.

Oh by the way I live in Edinburgh, but I fear this will cost hundreds to fix, so it may just be cheaper driving down to you lol. Anyway I'll get that photo.
holywoodj

15th Jan 08 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok not the best quality picture, but ive circled the worst wire, the insulating coat has burned off and the wire looks frayed. To be honest all the other wires actually look in tact. You'll also notice one of the metal hole parts in the ISO is ... brown. This is the one that must have caught the spark from the converter thing from the CD player.

Ok first time posting image on a forum so bear with me...

antoni

15th Jan 08 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn the mode on the camera to 'macro' it will focus much better close up and give a better picture

antoni
holywoodj

15th Jan 08 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did, I just cant fit the camera in any further. Maybe I should just take away the ashtray?
Richie

15th Jan 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so whats happened is that you have had a huge leak to earth and the heat has melted the insulation on the wire.

It may only be a case of running a new earth wire as long as the original one hasnt melted into the block.

An auto electrician would charge you less than you coming down to me matey!
holywoodj

15th Jan 08 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that's good to know. Thanks mate.
holywoodj

15th Jan 08 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right so I just took it to an auto electrian, and he said just to leave this wire, and to get a new head unit because there is still power coming out of it. Would it not be wise to shove some insulating tape round it?
Richie

15th Jan 08 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ermmmmmm.... couldnt have been a very good auto electrician.

Regardless of there still being a circuit there.... its took risky to leave it like that.
holywoodj

15th Jan 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting shot of this car. Too much hassle.
michaelclegg

15th Jan 08 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same happened to me a few weeks ago.Think it was the ignition live that i burnt.I fit a kenwood stereo.chased the wire back till it was not melted then taped it off.Put my old tape player back in and it worked fine.So i bought a vauxhall cd player and its been fine since.Think its running off permenant live.But some radio stations dont tune in maybe its the aerial amp but cd and a few stations are better than nothing
ryan_fowler1985

16th Jan 08 at 04:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dodgy auto spark, no way thats ok to leave like that. strip the tape off the loom so you can see how far back the damage goes then if its only the one cable replace the cable of if its more get a block from the scrappy just cut it back about 6 inches so you got some to play with
holywoodj

16th Jan 08 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, just back from having it checked. Apparently someone has installed a live wire straight to the battery from the problem, and it was when my cd players chassis touched it, everything went terribly wrong. The guy reckons a new wiring loom is required... It just gets better and better. There wires have melted into each other so im guessing its not safe. How much do you reckon an auto electrician would charge for a whole new loom(worst case scenario)? Every one I've asked has said they will give me a quote for £50, and some are saying go to a vxl dealership. Ah man I've totally ruined this...

[Edited on 16-01-2008 by holywoodj]
Richie

16th Jan 08 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they want to charge £50 to just quote you then thats daft.

However...... its just one of those things im afraid.

You could run all the new wires yourself but i take it your not up on all that. Any auto leccy is going to try and rip you off
holywoodj

16th Jan 08 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have no idea where to put the wires. guess i'll just have to live with it.
andyc1234

16th Jan 08 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id do it if you were closer im sure theres plenty of people that would help you out just need to find one near you
Richie

16th Jan 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same here. If you were in South Wales id wire in a harness for like £20...... shouldnt take too long as long as the speaker wires lived.
holywoodj

16th Jan 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest, i feel it might be cheaper to do that... il get back to you if this job is gonna cost like £500 or something
andyc1234

16th Jan 08 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

find a proper auto electrician there taking the p if they want more than 100 it doesnt sound that bad really

New Poll