corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Problem Starting our Sport - X14XE

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problem Starting our Sport - X14XE
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   12th Mar 08 at 04:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, i'm currently working abroad in Singapore, so need ideas to relay back to the missus and our mates about a problem she is having starting her Sport.

This is what she wrote on VxON;

quote:

Right my corsa had a new battery about 3 weeks ago is used daily etc. Was last started up saturday after Dave had done some work on my exhaust for me. No problems with it until I went to go to work yesterday.

It is attempting to turn over but just as it is about to fire up it cuts out and then just makes a whirring noise. Dave did its water, oil etc Saturday and it has no leaks etc. (I have checked) I unfortunately cannot open my bonnet to check under it as my bonnet requires 2 people to open it due to a dodgy lever. lol

I have tried several things to start it including giving it a bit of throttle etc. Yesterday it almost started before cutting out. It is getting to the point where it is just about to start then cuts out, then after that it struggles to even attempt to start unless I turn the ignition off and start trying again.

Any ideas?

We have thought of the obvious - Starter Motor - but are unsure of common Corsa problems. We also had the suggestion of Cambelt gone - but surely it wouldn't try to fire if this was the case...

Also have had the follwing suggested;

Failed coil pack
Blocked fuel filter

Any help GREATLY welcomed.
mattievRS

12th Mar 08 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i imagine it would still turn over if the cambelt had gone as its still going to give compression.Id start with the plugs and leads and it sounds like you are flooding the engine so its not firing so i would crank it over for a while without throttle
p1723944

14th Mar 08 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is makeing a whirling sound and not starting I would say its the solenoid on the starter that's fucked and not throwing the starter out to crank the engine over.

It happened to mine, you can take the starter of and put power through it when its off the car to see if the staters any good.

If it spinns but does but does through out then that the problem. Unfortunatally you can by the solenioid on its own, you have to by a new starter.

p1723944

14th Mar 08 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunatally you can't by the solenioid on its own, you have to buy a new starter.

sorry few beers at lunch
luke85

14th Mar 08 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does sound like a starter motor problem, tell her to try bump starting it or getting a friend to bump start it for her to see what happens
djgritt
Premium Member

17th Mar 08 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, fooking Car.

She has no-one to bump it for her,and i'm not home til next wednesday.. haha

Plus we are supposed to be chucking it onthe rollers on the Saturday after my return, hence the urgency to find a few points of where to look...

New Poll