corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » graphics cards installation help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author graphics cards installation help.
Carl

User status: Offline
29th Jun 08 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought one and my computer just isn't having it. I've checked the bios to enable pcie instead of the onboard. Still nothing, i've disabled on board through device manager, and I also have the screen cable hooked to the graphics card when i'm trying it.
I tried the card in another machine and that booted up straight away, i even tried the card from that machine in mine and the same thing happened, blank screen!

Also i have a 550watt power unit, so im not convinced its underpowered, as ive read for some suggestions for other people with similar problems.

Everything seems like it is working when i switch it on with it in the pc, however the monitor doesnt activate and sits in standby.

Anyone any ideas? must have spent 8 hours looking on the net, switching cards from pcs, turning on and off etc, pissed off with it now!
ed

29th Jun 08 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it have it's own power supply? If so, are you convinced it's getting power?

Have you tried booting it up with the card installed, but using the on board graphics to see what the BIOS is saying?
Carl

29th Jun 08 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Does it have it's own power supply? If so, are you convinced it's getting power?

Have you tried booting it up with the card installed, but using the on board graphics to see what the BIOS is saying?

powered through the pcie slot on the mobo. as said the unit claims 550watts, an im only running one hard drive, one dvd drive and dual core processor 3200 amd thing.

Everytime i've put the card in its failed to boot up, do you mean change the bios to run from onboard, put the card in, leave monitor plugged into mobo and see how that goes?
ed

29th Jun 08 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my BIOS I don't need to change anything to use a card instead of on board, which MOBO are you using?

But I'd try booting it up using on board graphics with the card installed to diagnose what the BIOS is detecting. It might be worth looking through the tech data on the MOBO manufacturers website for compatibility issues, and perhaps updating the BIOS to the latest version.
John

29th Jun 08 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the card not have a connector for a power cable?

Most do something to tell you you haven't got this plugged in though.
Carl

29th Jun 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
On my BIOS I don't need to change anything to use a card instead of on board, which MOBO are you using?

But I'd try booting it up using on board graphics with the card installed to diagnose what the BIOS is detecting. It might be worth looking through the tech data on the MOBO manufacturers website for compatibility issues, and perhaps updating the BIOS to the latest version.

ive tried that but i can't pinpoint what my mobo actually is, spent hours on that too!
info i have;

BIOS Typehoenix-Award
BIOS Date:October 15th 2004
BIOS ID:10/15/2004-RS480-SB400-6A666M4DC-00-None
BIOS OEM:Rev. 0.01 10/15/2004 - 6.00 PG
Chipset:Athlon 1100 rev 0 SuperIO:Unknown
Manufacturer:eveshamvale Motherboard:RS480-SB400

Searched the manufacturer no luck. tried the bios id, lead me to two microstar ones ms7184 or ms 7093, found i diagram of one and it looked exactly like mine, then couldn't find any bios updates or manuals for it anyway!

No it hasn't John, and it worked in the other pc i tried it in, no messing!

Im shit with pc's so was hoping it was something simple i'd overlooked, but i've gone down all them avenues loads of times.

[Edited on 29-06-2008 by Carl]
_Allan_

29th Jun 08 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the card?
Carl

29th Jun 08 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
What is the card?

nvidia geforce 8400gs
Carl

30th Jun 08 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

opting to buy a new motherboard i think, its fucking me off to the max now.
Russ

30th Jun 08 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sure there isnt a place to plug in a pci-e power cable, there not usualy powered through the motherboard, what mobo is it?> also 550w PSU means jack if its a crap make
ed

30th Jun 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They all used to be powered off of the mobo, and you don't need a brand name on a PSU to make it good.
Russ

30th Jun 08 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
They all used to be powered off of the mobo, and you don't need a brand name on a PSU to make it good.
most high end cards are powered seperatly. i just googled some pics of nvidia geforce 8400gs and it doesnt look like it is. as for the PSU... at you my friend.. at you. most no names are wank...

[Edited on 30-06-2008 by Russ]
John

30th Jun 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to agree with ed about the no names tbh, I have a fancy one that cost me 80 quid i think, it'll be another ebuyer special next time.
Russ

30th Jun 08 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my pc cost a fortune, i will not risk every component in there for the sake of 50 or so quid extra on a PSU
John

30th Jun 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have came across very very few psu's having ever taken out the board as well, it does happen but rarely, an expensive one could take the board out as well.
ed

30th Jun 08 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work for a company who built computers. All our machines used no name generic micro ATX units. They were still high quality and our machines were bench tested fine by our customers. You dont need writing on your PSU to make it good. My PSU is a no name item from ebuyer yet it is very good quality and neverissed a beat.
John

30th Jun 08 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I worked for Dell and dealt with thousands of computers using the cheapest psu's on the planet, apart from ones with manufacturing faults and kids in schools switching them to 110v they didn't fail anymore than i'd expect anything else to.
Ren

30th Jun 08 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say your screen sits in standby, try moving the plug to the onboard port. If the screen suddenly powers up, then you'll probably need a new mother board... Not because of any hardware conflicts, just because its too much of a headache to fix.

Happened with my old computer.

[Edited on 30-06-2008 by Ren]
Carl

30th Jun 08 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i managed to find out the exact mobo model, it was the ms 7093. found a forum and it turns out it isn't compatable with nvidia, the latest posts were from 2006 so unsure if they have updated the bios or anything to change the issue. Tried the liveupdate that is meant to upgrade the bios to the latest but seemed to want to install older stuff. Would have a go at maually installing but im a newb and it doesnt have a floppy drive so looks a bit too complicated.

Going to leave it for now, finished me off,wasted enough of my life pissing about with it for the mean time!
ed

1st Jul 08 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flashing the BIOS is quite simple if you have a floppy drive. You make a boot disk to boot into some form of DOS - there ought to be software for you to do this from MS. You then put in the flashing software and load it up and set it off - again, MS should give you software to do that.

With my ASUS mobo it was a really simple job to do, I didn't bother trying thier live update software... But I have experienced wierd incompatibilities before between HDD's and my Mobo, ended up changing from Seagate disks to WD ones to solve the problem.
Carl

1st Jul 08 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Flashing the BIOS is quite simple if you have a floppy drive. You make a boot disk to boot into some form of DOS - there ought to be software for you to do this from MS. You then put in the flashing software and load it up and set it off - again, MS should give you software to do that.

With my ASUS mobo it was a really simple job to do, I didn't bother trying thier live update software... But I have experienced wierd incompatibilities before between HDD's and my Mobo, ended up changing from Seagate disks to WD ones to solve the problem.

how hard is it to install a floppy drive? got one available but the case seems like it would be a bitch to get one in and hooked up etc.
ed

1st Jul 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plug it in.

As simple as that
Russ

1st Jul 08 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:
Originally posted by ed

how hard is it to install a floppy drive? got one available but the case seems like it would be a bitch to get one in and hooked up etc.
two plugs

New Poll