corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Knocking sound

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Knocking sound
alexm

User status: Offline
   28th Jul 08 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi All, not really introduced myself properly on here, but im Alex.. from Portsmouth area and drive a black 5dr 1.2 16v corsa.. with a few subtle mods on it, (cav wheels,debadged,etc.).

Anyways...

I recently noticed an occasional knocking noise when i pull away usually it will happen, and sometimes if i coast as i turn into a road i can hear it just knock.

On my MOT there was an advisory for play at upper mount of macpherson strut.. could it be this making the noise??? Or would i not feel this in my clutch pedal (which i do).

Also if i progressively brake hard, just before i come to a stop i hear a sort of whirring/come liquidish come squeel sort of sound.. not sure if thats connected at all.

Front pads and discs have been done, back brakes adjusted, new clutch about 6 weeks ago, and recently passed MOT apart from the advisory mentioned above.

Thanks in advance hopefully someone has an idea, and sorry it must seem so vague asking what a noise is !!! Cheers for reading the essay!

edit: the engine has 92k on it and it does sound a bit dieselish, but it just doesnt seem to be coming directly from the engine!

[Edited on 28-07-2008 by alexm]
Steve X16XE

28th Jul 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jack the car up but leave the wheels on.

Now see if you can wiggle the wheel left and right then try up and down. Do both sides to compare. You shouldn't have any movement.

If it doesn't move, have a look to see if there are any loose bolts.

alexm

29th Jul 08 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers...

I've Jacked it up, looked for holes in the gators, it seems to clonk similair to the clonk that im hearing when i turn each wheel (but ive been told that this is just me taking up the play in the diff or something).

There is very slight movement in both wheels only left and right though not up-down movement.

:S
Steve X16XE

29th Jul 08 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Left and right could be the track rod end. Try moving it again and hold the track rod end with your hand to see if you can feel any movement. If you can then get that replaced. Then go from there.
alexm

30th Jul 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh no!!!
I think this might be it.. I took a wheel off to take a look in there.. and i found oil seeping out of what i think is my gearbox??

here is some pics

could this be the noise???? I havnt noticed it hard to get into gear or any crunching though

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7932/dsc00555dz6.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5857/dsc00556bw5.jpg
Steve X16XE

30th Jul 08 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give it a wipe all round and go back to it after an hour to see if it is either coming from the gearbox or it is coming from above so it looks like it is coming from the gearbox.
alexm

31st Jul 08 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say its coming from the gearbox...
A couple of months ago i had my clutch done, and i have a hunch its been leaking since then possibly??

The clonking noise... my friend thinks is a top turret mount... and that my gear oil leak is something seperate!

Is it true that it can sometimes re-seal leaks itself?

Im thinking of topping the oil up today just for peace of mind i dont want it going bang
alexm

31st Jul 08 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to top up oil... but i dont know where the drain plug is.. i can find the breather filler but no drain plug.

1.2 16v 1999 5DR Where is it?!

New Poll