corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Strange brake problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Strange brake problem
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 07 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, time has come to fix the brakes on my car.

There is very little brakes what so ever, and when you apply the brakes, the fog light dash light lights up a little bit

Also, if you repeatdly go on and off the brakes, the revs seem to fluctuate, its strange...

Suggestions? Have new 2L disk, calipers and pads waiting to go on.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

23rd Jul 07 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fog light warning light sounds like a bad earth on the rear lights.
ChrisBoom

23rd Jul 07 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
The fog light warning light sounds like a bad earth on the rear lights.

I see, ill check the wiring on the lights tomorrow then.
ChrisBoom

23rd Jul 07 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should also mention that theres pretty much nothing on the pedal either, near enough straight to the floor.
antone_86

23rd Jul 07 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there is little pressure on the pedal I'd seriously be worried; it sounds like you have a fluid leak somewhere in your brake lines! Do a visual check of as much as you can of the brake system; check the fluid resivour, brake booster/master cylinder, (there shouldn't be any fluid near this), and check the lines; especially where they connect to your calipers. All you need is the slightest hairline crack in the lines somewhere and your brakes will fade very quickly as there is no pressure behind them. It should be pretty obvious where the fluid is leaking.

I'd put money on it that is why your pedal pressure is gone.

You said: Also, if you repeatdly go on and off the brakes, the revs seem to fluctuate, its strange...

This could indicate a vacuum leak on the master cylinder; these things utilise the engine vacuum to produce pressure to make the brakes powerful; this might solve both of your problems at once. Find where the booster attaches to the engine vacuum and seal it off; if the car instantly runs better I'd be looking at a replacment/reconditioned booster.

I recommend a thorough brake system once over, thorough, not a quick look. Can you hear a hissing noise at all when you apply the brake or when you are stationary? You only need a pin hole fracture in the diaphragm of the booster for the brakes to fade significantly; when it gets worse the pedal will go hard and you will have to do all the work with your foot; not a great idea.

Don't drive the thing if you can; and if you have to remember that your handbrake eased on SLOWLY should be able to stop you if you aren't being stupid and the brakes decide to die.

I drove an 1982 Alfa Romeo Alfasud 300km on the handbrake; it is doable but I wouldn't recommend it!

Things to do:

1. CHECK FOR LEAKS <-- IMPORTANT (top up fluid if needed)
2. CHECK FOR HISSING NOISE AROUND BOOSTER
3. CHECK EARTH ON WIRING
4. DON'T DRIVE UNNECESSARILY

[Edited on 23-07-2007 by antone_86]

[Edited on 24-07-2007 by antone_86]
ChrisBoom

24th Jul 07 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all that mate, really informative. The car is currently off the road till december anyways, getting it all fixed up now.

Im hopefully lowering the front of the car tomorrow, so ill give around all the breaks a good look too. IMO, it will be broken lines, as my crossmember collapsed, and there is a knocking sound whenever you apply the brakes. I rekon when the crossmember collapsed, it broke something.
ChrisBoom

24th Jul 07 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and where will I find the booster on a 1995 1.2 8v corsa?
antone_86

24th Jul 07 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knocking sound? Like a tapping or a deeper knocking? Are the rotors/discs/whatever you called them warped?
ChrisBoom

24th Jul 07 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antone_86
Knocking sound? Like a tapping or a deeper knocking? Are the rotors/discs/whatever you called them warped?

Its a knocking, its the whole crossmember hanging there, its only held up by the anti roll bars.

Looks like the car has has a new crossmember at one point, but a shite job was done, so the welds rusted, crossmember collapsed.
ChrisBoom

24th Jul 07 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And the disks could be warped, shall see what they are like when i change to the 2L setup.
antone_86

24th Jul 07 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before putting the 2L setup on it could be worth getting the rotors machined, about $30- AUD here so guessing about 12 Quid each?

If you have the time and money I'd also recondition the calipers depending on how long they've been off the other car; they get sticky otherwise and you'll only have to do it again in 2 months time...
ChrisBoom

24th Jul 07 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Before putting the 2L setup on it could be worth getting the rotors machined, about $30- AUD here so guessing about 12 Quid each?

If you have the time and money I'd also recondition the calipers depending on how long they've been off the other car; they get sticky otherwise and you'll only have to do it again in 2 months time...

Why would I need them machined? They are brand new disks, new pads. Calipers are in good condition, well, seem to be anyways.

Edit, i see what you mean. No, the 1.2 setup will be going in the bin, got the 2L kit for free, bar the pads.

[Edited on 24-07-2007 by ChrisBoom]
antone_86

24th Jul 07 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I see where you got confused then unconfused lol...

How long have the calipers been left unused?
ChrisBoom

24th Jul 07 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah I see where you got confused then unconfused lol...

How long have the calipers been left unused?

At least 6 months anyway, at least.
antone_86

24th Jul 07 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd almost definitely look into rebuilding them in that case; then again I'm the sort who likes their brakes to work as best as possible. Without the fluid in them they may have corroded inside slightly and become sticky where the hydraulic pin is; not good. What happened to me in my Alfa was I didn't rebuild them so one day both front calipers stuck and I thought I had an engine issue, felt like there was less power. Got home, smelt smoke, popped the hood and I had 2 rotors metal-to-metal with the calipers; full replacement job... $$$ (Yeah I know, it's an Alfa, should be expected but it could have been avoided...)

New Poll