corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » php and mysql help please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author php and mysql help please
bigD21

User status: Offline
27th Aug 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im fairly new to php and have been reading some material. I have been setting myself a couple of small projects to complete and then implement there methods to create larger projects. This example project is purely for my own purposes, not for any form of gain whatsoever.

I’ve got a mysql database that contains this;

ID COURSE
1 ENGLISH
2 ENGLISH
3 ENGLISH
4 MATHS
5 MATHS

What I’m wanting to do is create a simple form in php that contains a set of check boxes, for course (English, maths) I want the form to also contain a submit button which will pass the submitted info to results.php
Please could someone tell/show me how I’d go about displaying checkboxes within a form based upon mysql data?
What I want to do is be able to select a course, or both, and then submit the form. The following page would display the number of rows that I have selected. So based on the mysql table, if I’d just checked the “English” checkbox then it query SELECT * from database WHERE course=’english’ and in this case I would want it to display that “You have selected 3 rows”.
ed

27th Aug 08 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you have written makes very little sense
bigD21

27th Aug 08 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean - it simply says that I have a mysql table which is;
ID COURSE
1 ENGLISH
2 ENGLISH
3 ENGLISH
4 MATHS
5 MATHS

And that Im wanting to create a web form. I want to be able to have two checkboxes in the form that are called from the mysql table.

If they are checked and submitted then it passes the info to a new page called results.php which by then would have processed the mysql query for the checkboxes.

So basically, if ive got two options in the database then I only want to have two checkboxes displayed. If a checkbox is checked (e.g english) then the form s submitted it would process the appropriate sql query and would return the amount of rows selected
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Aug 08 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try a

SELECT DISTINCT course FROM table

And put that loop inside <select> tags with an <option></option> on each iteration.

On second thoughts, you should be passing an integer around rather than the subject name. Ideally your example should be normalised in to two tables.

id course
1 1
2 1
3 1
4 2
5 1

id coursename
1 ENGLISH
2 MATHS

And you populate the list box from the second table. That way you can pass around the id from that table and it won't matter if you introduce special characters in to the subject name.

You can then extend the HTML syntax a bit and use

<option value="$id">$name</option>

ie. the HTML form details with id which will be your integer, but the user sees the course name.

When that gets to the other script you can just do a SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tablename WHERE id = $id and you'll get the number of rows that match.

Do also bear in mind that you could use an aggregate function to tell the user in the first place how many rows are in the table for each subject, ie.

SELECT course, COUNT(*) AS coursecount FROM table GROUP BY course

Should return

ENGLISH 3
MATHS 2

Which you can then format nice using some string concatenation and put that in your drop down box. Bit more difficult to pass around but it's better information for the user. Depends if you actually really want a drop down box or not. I generally use the aggregate stuff when I'm just displaying the values. Post Distribution in profiles is written in this way except that there is some arithmetic in the query as well.
bigD21

30th Aug 08 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you be able to give me an example of some code as to how you would do it from scratch please?

New Poll