corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MK4 Fiesta - battery flat, now keeps cutting out. . .

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MK4 Fiesta - battery flat, now keeps cutting out. . .
deano87

User status: Offline
9th Oct 08 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This morning my girlfriend went out to her car and randomly, the battery was dead. She hadn't done anything differently so hadn't left her lights on etc.

She got it jump started and drove to work (about 8 miles) fine. Her dad came and replaced the battery as it was looking quite old and after replacing it was starting fine.

However when on her way home, when dipping the clutch and slowing down etc, the revs would drop and engine cut out.

The problem sounds like a Corsa IACV problem, however I'm not sure if all cars have these? If the battery had been dead and a new one replaced, could it mean that the ECU needs resetting or some such thing? Or could it be something else such as a coil pack or alternator? She has no EML on her dash (there isn't even a space for one i.e. the light) so does every car have an ECU/fault diagnostics etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - just seems strange everything has happened at once.

[Edited on 09-10-2008 by deano87]
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Oct 08 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deano, you say it was cutting out on the way home - how easy was it to restart when it did that?
Toby
Premium Member

9th Oct 08 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be alternator (sp)
deano87

9th Oct 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Deano, you say it was cutting out on the way home - how easy was it to restart when it did that?

Instant, as if the car had been stalled - she said lights came on on the dash as if it had stalled.
Dan295

9th Oct 08 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alternator tbh, when the car is running after it has been jump started hold a multimeter on the battery terminals the battery voltage should be reading around 13-14volts, otherwise its the alternator. or the battery has been cooked
deano87

9th Oct 08 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, well she has recently been to get some petrol, let it warm up on her drive then thrashed it there and back now she says it's fine. Strange.
Dan295

9th Oct 08 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the alternator deano, any problems drop me a text, let me know if its you though i lost your number
deano87

10th Oct 08 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

she has driven to work fine this morning - seems like it has a self learning ECU or something. After she thrashed the nuts off it she says it's fine.

New Poll