corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » The wrong coolant

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The wrong coolant
Daveskater
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Mar 09 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What're the consequences of using the wrong type of coolant?

My dad put red coolant in my mum's Saxo which uses blue coolant, and now it's broken at the side of the road.

He put it in in January iirc, and she's been saying about it acting funny since then, and today it cut out and black smoke poured out the exhaust.

Could this happen by using the wrong stuff?

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th Mar 09 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just thought, this should probably be in help zone

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Marshall

27th Mar 09 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The red/ pink stuff is OAT (organic acid technology), whereas the blue/ green stuff is Ethylene glycol antifreeze.
It can create deposits of sludge in your cooling system when the 2 are mixed, but i doubt thats the cause of your problem.

Marshall

27th Mar 09 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it very low when he topped it up in january? there may be a leak which has got worse

although you would expect white smoke if it had overheated and blown the headgasket.

[Edited on 27-03-2009 by Marshall]
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th Mar 09 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it was about half way, but he decided it was a brilliant idea to fill it up right to the very top, literally to the brim. Obviously this doesn't leave any room to expand.

I checked it when I went up there (was going to bring her back but she remembered she has breakdown cover so is now waiting for the truck) and it was about an inch from the top, so it doesn't appear to have leaked. There's no stains on the drive from when she parks, either.

Yeah I was thinking that about it being black smoke. The last month or two the idle revs keeps going up and down, but not all the time. I thought maybe it was the ICV so it may or may not be related, because it was intermittent.

I don't know what black smoke means with petrols, only diesels

Just remembered that there was a strong smell of petrol, and under the bonnet this is all I noticed, might be something, might be nothing: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5140/image008jvp.jpg

There were no wet bits on the floor.

[Edited on 27-03-2009 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th Mar 09 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got back from picking my mum up, apparently the fuel filter was loose, and the black smoke was probably someone overtaking because she lost power

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
~willow~

27th Mar 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol atleast its ok!

New Poll