corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Intel or AMD?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Intel or AMD?
Mo

User status: Offline
4th Apr 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which processor would u go for and why?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 09 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some light reading for you on the subject:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/17832.aspx
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334131,00.asp
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/830/1050830/intel-vs-amd-2009-desktop-fight-continues

I personally have used AMD CPUs more than Intel, I think mainly down to cost TBH (AMD is cheaper).
DannyB
Premium Member

4th Apr 09 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently have an AMD 64x2 3.2ghz, will be buying a quad core chip soon though. I'd also like to know why people prefer Intel, benefits of using Intel?faster?cheaper?better value? Don't mean to hijack your thread, sorry
AlunJ

4th Apr 09 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer AMD myself, my PC is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and I love it, even my old AMD Duron was better than a celeron that was supposed to be much faster. Unfortunately in my macbook I don't have a lot of choice and its an intel core2duo.
John

4th Apr 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intel still is and has been for a while better value for money (imo before anybody tells me how i'm wrong).

I used to have AMD but no point having an inferior chip because of brand loyalty.

AMD are in a bad way atm.
Cosmo

4th Apr 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intel is where its at ATM, and has been since the core2's came out a few years back. AMD arent in any position to offer a rival ship for the same price.
Russ

4th Apr 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

since c2d was released the amd's have been pissed on, the last good AMD's were the Opteron's
smcGSI16V

4th Apr 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

AMD are in a bad way atm.

Not as bad as is being made out.

Buying ATI done them no favours and left them very tight financially.

Quarterly internal reports suggestthey are getting things right and turning things around.

Everything we have in our house, and the inlaws house is AMD and i prefer it over Intel.

But i'm slightly bias as my mrs is the UK office manager for AMD and everything we have has been top of the range, free and faultless.
John

4th Apr 09 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying AMD have any faults, Intel just make better chips.

Your missus will know better but from what i've been reading they lost $3bn in revenue last year and have just announced a $50m restructuruing plan with a large amount of that being severance pay for the staff they're about to get rid of.
Bart

4th Apr 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an intel quad core extreme, QX9659 @ 3.4ghz, but if I was strapped for cash and still wanted a decent CPU id be looking at the Intel Phenom 2's
jamied

4th Apr 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
I have an intel quad core extreme, QX9659 @ 3.4ghz, but if I was strapped for cash and still wanted a decent CPU id be looking at the AMD Phenom 2's
smcGSI16V

4th Apr 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'm not saying AMD have any faults, Intel just make better chips.

Your missus will know better but from what i've been reading they lost $3bn in revenue last year and have just announced a $50m restructuruing plan with a large amount of that being severance pay for the staff they're about to get rid of.

I think personal opinion on chips is very hard and without being bias everybody has whom they prefer, wether it be service, price, backup, availabillity.
Intel have the Market in this country, on the continent it's slightly different.

Yeap huge restructuring going on. The uk workforce has been halved, my mrs having sorted the majority of it out.

Usual thing, economic down turn being blamed etc etc.
Can't really say any more.
smcGSI16V

4th Apr 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask joe bloggs on a uk street who AMd are and the majority would not have a clue, that is the problem they have at the mo and what they are trying to resolve.
Yet ask on a german street and the majority of people will know.

In America they do have the monopolly tho.

[Edited on 04-04-2009 by smcGSI16V]
Tim
Site Administrator

5th Apr 09 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From a server perspective AMD had the upper hand with HT (we're more concerned with server throughput than outright core performance). Unfortunately they screwed up when their Barcelona quad-cores were delayed for so long (Intel had QC processors out for months beforehand).

Now Intel have finally got an HT equivalent with QPI in the Nehalem architecture, I think a lot of AMD shops will be migrating. The benchmarks speak for themselves...

From what I've seen if you're after outright performance then nothing will touch the Core i7 on the desktop side. AMD Phenom II X4s are pretty good from a price perspective though

[Edited on 05-04-2009 by Tim]
Bart

5th Apr 09 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
From what I've seen if you're after outright performance then nothing will touch the Core i7 on the desktop side. AMD Phenom II X4s are pretty good from a price perspective though

Indeed, stock I7s are being compared to 775 extreme CPUs.
The Phenom 2's do offer a good bang for the buck if your on a budget, but thats AMD always being competitvely priced.. they have no other leads.

New Poll