corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » kit car charging circuit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author kit car charging circuit
john_c20xe

User status: Offline
15th Jul 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right not really a kit car but my mate has a fiesta zetec s with a 2.0 duratech engine in that he will soon be putting on managment and throttel bodies,

hes gutted the car totally of all wiring and made his own for the lights hor washers wipers fan ect to buttons on the dash,

the only part we are getting confused about is the charging/starting wiring side of things?

how would the alternator be wired up? surely if he just runs a power straight to the battery it wont charge properly as when it reaches the amount of volts it wont cut out it will just keep on charging till the battery exploads??

normally theres a small wire on the back of the alternator that runs to the dash but since he has no dash, dials ect where would this run to?
anyone know?

basically the same as fitting an engine to a kit car i supose?
Ste
Premium Member

15th Jul 09 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He must be stupid not to fit a dash, or at least some kind of way to monitor the engine.

He will soon get fed up running out of fuel or if he loses oil pressure and ceases his engine. Or if his brake fluid gets low and he has no light and crashes it.

My advice, is fit a digi dash like this one http://www.etbinstruments.com/DD2_lite.htm

I have it and it is brilliant.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
john_c20xe

15th Jul 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no no no no .... ha! i mean he doesnt have a standard dash, none of the fiesta stuff what so ever, hes running seprate gauges in a custom made pod,
just need to find out how to wire up the alternator
Ste
Premium Member

15th Jul 09 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe
but since he has no dash, dials ect where would this run to?

That bit got me confused!!

You usually have one direct from alt to battery

that is the thicker wire. The thinner will go to your light. There is sometimes a third wire that feeds the loom from the thick wire i mentioned.

[Edited on 15-07-2009 by Ste W]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
AlexW

15th Jul 09 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe

how would the alternator be wired up? surely if he just runs a power straight to the battery it wont charge properly as when it reaches the amount of volts it wont cut out it will just keep on charging till the battery exploads??

It has a regulator on the back of alternaotors chap. As said that smaller wire is for the dash light, needs to be wired up too.
john_c20xe

16th Jul 09 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so he can just wire up the starter and alternator like normal and then just run the small wire to a dash light?

[Edited on 16-07-2009 by john_c20xe]

New Poll