corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Headgasket failure in 12v Corsa B

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headgasket failure in 12v Corsa B
moka

User status: Offline
6th Aug 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The shell is decent, I want to try and swap the engine out for another 12v for my sister who will be on the road in about 6 months (when she passes).... How much hassle is it?

Im not the best when it comes to cars but me and a mate who has about the same knowledge as me are well up for giving it a go.

What am i going to need?

Obviously another engine and box (the box needs changing aswell) but other than that what tools would i need?
moka

6th Aug 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont want to try and repair the engine as its done 124k and it was a right mess from 80k onwards...
Root

6th Aug 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not long ago a head gasket cost me £12 and I carried out the repair procedure myself, took half an hour.

Whereas a conversion...even for another 12v block, is going to cost you probably £50-£125 for the block and to drop it in and get it running correctly will take 6 hours? Also you're going to need a hoist, if you don't have one they're not cheap, on eBay...you'll be looking at at least £50 probably, that'll be second hand.

Anyway, if you are going for another 12v block, it's pretty straightforward, no changing the loom, I think the ECU will be fine, might just need resetting once you have the new block lifted in to adjust to new block (to do this leave battery disconnected for several hours, turn it on, let it idle for a good 5 minutes. it'll sound rough but it's fine, then take it for a drive going through all the gears).

So all you have to swap is the block, unbolting, disconnecting, lift it out, drop another in, reverse procedure...but conversions don't always go according to plan, like if you drop it in and it doesn't start then that sucks. lol

If you're up for giving it a go anyway, take some pics and put it in a project thread. Just unbolt things and lift it out when you're able to, I've not done one before but at least doing one on a shed (that's cheap engine wise etc as well), you won't lose much if it cocks up. good luck anyway keep us updated

[Edited on 06-08-2009 by Root]
moka

6th Aug 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info root, I will without a doubt start a project thread for it...

The hoist and the space to do it are my main concerns at the min.

One thing though - will the engine transplant increase insurance even though its the same engine?
am4nf

6th Aug 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

technically you could forget to tell anyone
Root

6th Aug 09 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moka
Cheers for the info root, I will without a doubt start a project thread for it...

The hoist and the space to do it are my main concerns at the min.

One thing though - will the engine transplant increase insurance even though its the same engine?

I think you're meant to tell them because there will be a different engine inside with a different engine number down the side of it...because of this you should probably tell the DVLA also. But if it was myself, I wouldn't bother if it's the same displacement 1.0 12v.

If you have a drive, just do it there, lol. See if you can borrow a hoist for a weekend, shouldn't take longer than that unless you run into trouble. Also get the engine code and ebay it, see if you can pick up any bargains.

I'm always doing things to my car at the side of the road, whatever it is, lol. If you need more space just see if there are any parking areas round the corner or something and do it there as long as it's not one you have to pay for, like just a small parking area, it should be fine

[Edited on 06-08-2009 by Root]

New Poll