corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » High speed internet / pc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High speed internet / pc
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi. I run a couple of online websites and do a bit of low graphics web design.

I'm moving to a new flat and they've got fibre optic Virgin in the area. You can pay for 50mb line with them, will I actually get these speeds? As all my previous broadband has been through phone lines and the speeds you pay for aren't what you get.

Also I'm going to get a new pc. Desktop. What should I be looking for spec wise? As I say it's mainly internet uploading, lots of multiple window browsing and low graphic uploads. I don't play games or anything like that. Budget wise I'm very flexible. I've always had laptops in the past but I've been buying a new one about once a year because they run so slow after a while!

Any info / comments would be great, cheers.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Oct 09 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone will undoubtedly recommend some over priced modern PC. Fact is, you could do exactly what you want on a £40 machine off ebay. I have flash, photoshop, mp3's playing, video editing, plus browsing all open at once and my IBM P4 2.8GHz with 2GB of ram never misses a beat. I did upgrade the graphics card, but all in it only stands me at £60ish.

I'm not saying buy something cheap off ebay necessarily, but more that you don't need to spend mega bucks to do what you've stated above. If you're looking to buy new, any recent Dell could handle that no probs. Ram is dirt cheap if you decide you need a little more at a later date.

I've got a recent laptop and honestly there's no difference IMO. Maybe if you were doing something mega graphically challenging like rendering 3D, playing games and such, but you're not. I bought a mega spec machine for £400ish and I sold it shortly after. It was just pointless for what I used it for. Sounded like a jet too, but that's another story.

[Edited on 22-10-2009 by loafofbrett]
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Oct 09 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get decent spec machines for £100 or less secondhand on eBay (this more often than not includes a monitor, keyboard and mouse too).

I would not buy a brand new PC unless you are doing some heavy duty work or gaming.
ed

23rd Oct 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a new one then these look good

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=DRS1G002&l=en&m_30=322299&oc=D001G02&rbc=D001G02&s=dhs
ed

23rd Oct 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You probably wont get an actual 50mb connection to websites either. Web servers distribute traffic load according to how busy they are. Take Facebook for example, very busy and always bloody slow. I guess if you have a good tracker and plenty of seeders torrents would be fast. Saying that, it's only about £20 a month now so it wont hurt getting it.
Cosmo

23rd Oct 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a cheap Dell, will be more than going on Ebay or somewhere but you'll get decent customer support if anything fucks up.
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Oct 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Just get a cheap Dell, will be more than going on Ebay or somewhere but you'll get decent customer support if anything fucks up.

From an Indian call centre?

(talking from personal experience BTW)
Cosmo

23rd Oct 09 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are fairly willing to replace and repair stuff though, where as a fella from Ebay will tell you to fuck off
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Oct 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True, I managed to get a free laptop battery out of them even though the laptop had just gone out of warranty (talking a month or two).

Just be prepared to spend a while talking to someone who's mother tongue is not English but more annoyingly just reads 'canned' responses to you from a script card!
John

23rd Oct 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They use a decision tree system, if you give them the answers they want to hear you'll get whatever you are looking for.

New Poll