corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » No antifreeze, and x18xe1 questions.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author No antifreeze, and x18xe1 questions.
harrisp

User status: Offline
   18th Dec 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I know im a twat etc for not having it in but anyway..

This morning I went out and went to start my car, a horrible grinding noise and car wont turn over, sounded starter motor at first but seems to be coming from timing end.
Then I managed to defrost it and it would turn over but wouldnt start, would also occasionally backfire through the airbox.

Im guessing the water pump froze solid and bottom cog has skipped when Ive tried to turn it over, does that sound feasible? Also whats the chance of knackering valves etc when turning it over with the starter motor?
all the water has refroze during the day and it is back to the stage of not turning over so cant even check the timing, top pulleys are still lined up though (not that that makes much of a difference)

Also if it is fucked I would rather fit a x18xe1 than repair my x16, what is involved, got no powersteering or aircon, is it difficult? I am fairly mechanically minded, have swapped engine in my missus' ka, done headgasket and cambelt etc on my sport so not a complete novice.
swill_omnibus

19th Dec 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To fit the XE1 to your 1.6 will basically be a straight swap and theres about 6-10 wires altogether.
alan-g-w

19th Dec 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol, this reminds me of Hogmany last year. Went out to start the car after it sitting for a couple of days with no anti freeze. When I turned the key I thought it sounded like a flat battery - no problem I thought and started to roll the car forward in 2nd, foot on the clutch ready to bump start it. Got up to a speed I knew it'd go and all I heard was a horrible clickety clack of the valves being hammered by the pistons. Not pleasant.

Cue 16 bent valves and about a dozen cracked valves guides... keep meaning to get the pics off my phone onto here actually, I thought it was quite impressive.

On topic, I'd suggest you drain it asap. Even if I'd realised and thawed mine out it would have still been a head off job - a core plug at the back of the head burst through. Just watch out for that.
nrgdd70
Premium Member

20th Dec 09 at 01:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same to mine mate bent 4 valves
Root

20th Dec 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just tried to turn mine over with no anti freeze and it grinded. im boiling the kettle, gonna pour that in the cooling system, then let it defrost into water, then drain it, pour all the anti freeze in that i have and add water, i hope it hasn't bent valves as it's 1.2 8v usually, 8valves are bulletproof.

New Poll