corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows 7 Verifying DMI Pool Hang

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows 7 Verifying DMI Pool Hang
Dom

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to get hanged by the Mac lot on here and i blame the 'Do you use a Mac thread' for jinx, but after a reboot earlier today (the system decided to not initialise an old IDE drive from the previous boot), my system (Q6600, Abit IP35 Pro XE, 4GB DDR2, Win7 on a RAID0 array) has been hanging on the Verifying DMI Pool screen (underscore cursor flashing a few times then stops and the system hangs).

It seems that it's something to do with the raid array or the initialisation of the array, as the system will happily boot to another drive with an OS or display the 'Missing operating system' error message if you disconnect the raid array (either disable the raid SATA option in the BIOS or disconnect the drives).
However the actual array seems to be perfectly intact, having booted via the Ubuntu live CD and backed up the whole array to an external drive.

I've cleared the BIOS numerous times and have flashed it just to make sure the BIOS wasn't corrupted, which results in a 'Verifying DMI Pool...Update Success' message but it hangs straight after. The DDR and GPU have been re-seated and all non-essential cards removed, but to no avail.
I've also used Windows 7 Startup Repair, but it comes back clean each time i've used it.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

The data is all backed up, but ideally i'd like to get back into the current OS rather than breaking the current array and doing a complete reinstall
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What type of RAID array is it - i.e mirrored or something else?

If the BIOS settings are correct, then either the drive or the MBR on the drive is fucked by the sounds of it.
Dom

2nd Jul 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
What type of RAID array is it - i.e mirrored or something else?

If the BIOS settings are correct, then either the drive or the MBR on the drive is fucked by the sounds of it.

It's Raid0 (Stripe), i've yet to do a diag. on each drive but the actual array seems to be perfectly fine (and in turn i suppose each drive) as i can access the array via the Ubuntu Live CD (have copied data from the array to another drive without any issues).

I'm thinking it's a MBR or boot config issue as well, will have a plough through the bootrec command and see where i get
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let us know how you get on mate
Dom

2nd Jul 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finally fixed it by doing a 'bootsect /nt60' on the drive, so i'm assuming it was a boot config issue. serious ballache though, my ebay watch list is now full of mac pro's and mini's
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Jul 10 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll