corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Migrating Email to Gmail - Good or Bad?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Migrating Email to Gmail - Good or Bad?
Dom

User status: Offline
16th Jul 10 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently have around 10 active email addresses and i'm looking to migrating everything to a Gmail (get gmail to pop all of the email accounts and then filter it accordingly into folders/labels) account and IMAP'ing that in Outlook, iPhone, Android. Reason for this is to centralise everything and allow me access to all of my mail anywhere - i usually use a number of systems and OS's for work and it's becoming a pain in the arse having to reboot my machine to access Outlook etc.

Can anyone see any bad ideas in using Gmail to do this (security risks)?

Another option is to get a hosted exchange server (can exchange check pop/imap accounts?), but it's around £100 a year and a few hosts i've checked out offer limited features.
Or perhaps knock up an email server at home but that just seems like a complete ballache plus i don't have any form of redundancy (primarily connection etc).
Marc

16th Jul 10 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't answer your question, but I have a Gmail account and have never really got on with it, very similar to Yahoo! I think. I never used to like the fact that you couldn't delete meassages ( I know you can now) Plus the bulk folder is annoying. I prefer Hotmail.
Dom

16th Jul 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with the webmail, it's pretty naff especially the fact that you delete an email and it doesn't actually delete it (it gets stored in the 'all mail' folder). But i'd only be using for IMap anyways in a email client (or my the phone).
AndyKent

16th Jul 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got no idea on the technical side, but it seems to be a very secure system......even logs the IPs of computers/devices accessing the mailbox so you can check up and make sure Africans haven't hacked in.

IMAP works excellently, and you can set up no end of filters so that mail from different addresses drops into different labelled areas so it's all separated out.

I really like it, knocks hotmail into the past with all the different features.
Dom

16th Jul 10 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, I know you can get Gmail to check multiple accounts via POP and then assign a smtp server to each address (sending everything through gmails smtp server results in the sender header being added to the email, which means the from address ends up being 'blah blah blah@gmail.com on behalf of blah info@domain.com') which works great using the webmail (you select the from address and the email is sent through a specific smtp server).
But how do you go about setting this up within a email client like Outlook/Mac Mail? Can you assign multiple smtp servers to a single account?

Edit -
Found out you can set up multiple identities (one account, receive email via Gmails IMAP, but you can send emails from different address via different smtp servers) in clients like Thunderbird and Mac Mail. But nothing on Outlooks, apart from setting up different profiles which is something slightly different.
Atleast i know it can be done, it's just a case of using GMails migration tool to upload all my email and then set it all up.

[Edited on 16-07-2010 by Dom]

New Poll