corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Soil pipe to clay sewer pipe leaking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Soil pipe to clay sewer pipe leaking
mantamark

User status: Offline
12th Mar 11 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all.

We moved into our 1960's semi in august, and noticed a nasty smell in the bathroom, which we thought was down to the air bath that was fitted, it all looked dated, so we decided to bin the lot & get a new suite etc.

Smell remained.

Fitted a new aav, smell remained, though a little better.

Started to get whiffs now & then in the kitchen too, so i've finally decided to jump in & have a look.

I have pulled out a few units so i could get in to see the soil pipe.

First glance, not good, the plasterboard wall that was made around the soil pipe had some black mould on it, and a few holes, it also got a lot more stinky the further i went. I pulled the plasterboard back as it was behind the units anyway, i can replace this later.

Looking down at the soil pipe, i could see a small, one inch hole in the ground, i got the mrs to flush the chain, there it was, water splashing about. I stuck some gloves on & had a feel, feels like an open cavity, i though this could have been the sewer pipe (clay) which could have collapsed, out comes the chisel.

Very carefully i started enlarging the hole, and i think i understand a bit better, it appears the clay pipe is a 90 degree bend coming up over, opening out a bit with the pvc soil pipe going into it. After i had opened the hole up a bit more, the chain was flushed, and it looks like there is a gap, of about 1mm, between the two. The water is splashing up through this gap, it only does this when the chain is flushed, not when taps are ran.

I will try and get some pics if it will help, but its right in the corner of the kitchen, so its pretty tricky to get at.

My novice presumption is that there should be some sort of seal around the join, which has decayed over time, and i will have to chip away slowly at all the cement that has been chucked ontop of the pipe in the corner, then somehow seal the joint again?

I would appreciate any help with this, as i am meant to be working away from home on monday for 16 days & can't leave the kitchen in this state for the mrs.

Thanks for your time & appologies about the essay.

Mark.

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=266903#ixzz1GQPZNEM0

Jake

13th Mar 11 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it were me id chop out around the clay 90, remove the plastic pipe from the sleeve and fit a rubber plastic to clay adapter to the pair of them

[Edited on 13-03-2011 by Jake]
mantamark

13th Mar 11 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt the clay totally brittle? Risk of wrecking that too?
mattk

13th Mar 11 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

knock the floor up all around it and just seal it with cement, thats all they are sealed with under the floor,

if you wanted to use rubber adaptors then you would have to chop a channel in the floor long and wide enough to be able to get a grinder in and to then put a rubber adaptor and new rest bend in, thats way too much work
Bonney

13th Mar 11 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As matt has said. Just use a good solid mix.

New Poll