corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How to make a 1.2 8v go faster

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How to make a 1.2 8v go faster
jrdn7

User status: Offline
12th Apr 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to know, how can I make my 1.2 8v quicker. I've already installed a new performance exhaust and induction kit. Is there anything else I can do?
Steve X16XE

12th Apr 11 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are over 20 and have a few no claims discount behind you, bin that engine and put a bigger one in. Start off with a 1.4 16v or a 1.6 16v.

Are you planning on keeping the car for a few years?
jrdn7

12th Apr 11 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I want to keep the car for a while. By the way, I'm 17, so no no-claims bonus yet. The insurance company wants something in the region of €3000 p.a for a 1.4 16v engine.
JaffaTB

12th Apr 11 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just dont tell them its got a bigger engine.....

but being serious, when i had my 1.2 8v engine in, the biggest difference came by derestricting the airbox and drilling it
AlexW

12th Apr 11 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better brakes, suspension and weight loss.

Yes you could tune the 1.2 (Fit MPI etc), but its not worth it for the bhp per £££. Best thing to do is to get used to it, learn to drive it quickly and wait until you can insure a bigger engine
Edges 58

13th Apr 11 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strip it out and learn to corner fast.. There's not much hope for that engine in a straight line. But look into handling upgrades.. Tyres, strut braces, coilovers
jrdn7

13th Apr 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What all do you need to do to convert the car to all round discs. Can anyone reccommend any specific types of discs? @AW06, what is an MPI?
Phillips_91

13th Apr 11 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Multi Point Injection
jrdn7

13th Apr 11 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you fit the multi point injection system?
jrdn7

13th Apr 11 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would getting a 16v head make it any better?
RKS

13th Apr 11 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd do what the others have said mate, forget about that engine and fit another, if you can't afford the insurance on that then sort out the handling, then when you can afford the insurance drop a bigger motor in, 1.4 or 1.6 16v

in terms of handling the best mod you can do IMO is fit a whiteline rear ARB, or if you are on a budget a cavalier ARB can be modified to fit,

as with brakes, you have two main options on the front, either fit 2.0 brakes, (256mm disk) will fit under most 14's (found on astras/cavaliers/calibras) or v6/turbo brakes these are a 288mm disk but you will need to get them redrilled to 4stud or buy a kit from LMF (found on cavaliers and calibras)

with the Rear you will need either a fitting kit, or access to a rear beam from a cavalier/astra/calibra and cut the mounting plates of the rearbeam. you will then need the whole disc assembly including the wheel bearing and stub axel. cut the mounting plates off your rear beam weld the new ones on and bold the new disk assembly on. not an easy or quick job.

To be honest for now i'd recommend sorting out the suspension, 2.0 256mm brakes you should be able to pick calipers and carriers cheap from a scrappy then get some new disks and pads from a motor factors and ft a rear arb

[Edited on 13-04-2011 by RKS]

RKS

13th Apr 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
Would getting a 16v head make it any better?

probably a whole load of work for not much gains to be honest mate, you'd need to re-wire it and strip the current motor down to the head, its not much more work to change the motor and probably not a great deal difference on the insurance you'd probably need a new fuel pump too.

Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bin 1.2 8v.

Fit 20XE.

Dont waste your time with a 14/16XE, every smallblock XE i have had has went bang, dont rate them at all.

Of course people will say 20XE's dont handle etc, do it right and drive it properly and it will be perfectly fine.
corsadonk
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about fitting bike carbs?

Next months TV has a 1.4 with them fitted, maybe fit a SR ported head with twin 40's, and uprated cams.

Should be fun, and sound mega.
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Apr 11 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh unless you have some seriously good reason to keep that particular car, instead of changing the engine for a 1.6 16v just sell it and get a Sport instead. It will be far easier. The whole point in engine conversions is to put an engine that the car wasn't sold with in, so putting one in from a Corsa that you could just buy with it already is just making life hard imo.

But seeing as you're 17 with no NCB just work on the handling as others have said.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AlexW

13th Apr 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No 16v head will fit a 1.2.
Matty W

13th Apr 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leave it at the edge of a cliff with the handbrake off and give it a nudge, it'll go well fast.. will stop prety quick aswell
jrdn7

14th Apr 11 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RKS
I'd do what the others have said mate, forget about that engine and fit another, if you can't afford the insurance on that then sort out the handling, then when you can afford the insurance drop a bigger motor in, 1.4 or 1.6 16v

in terms of handling the best mod you can do IMO is fit a whiteline rear ARB, or if you are on a budget a cavalier ARB can be modified to fit,

as with brakes, you have two main options on the front, either fit 2.0 brakes, (256mm disk) will fit under most 14's (found on astras/cavaliers/calibras) or v6/turbo brakes these are a 288mm disk but you will need to get them redrilled to 4stud or buy a kit from LMF (found on cavaliers and calibras)

with the Rear you will need either a fitting kit, or access to a rear beam from a cavalier/astra/calibra and cut the mounting plates of the rearbeam. you will then need the whole disc assembly including the wheel bearing and stub axel. cut the mounting plates off your rear beam weld the new ones on and bold the new disk assembly on. not an easy or quick job.

To be honest for now i'd recommend sorting out the suspension, 2.0 256mm brakes you should be able to pick calipers and carriers cheap from a scrappy then get some new disks and pads from a motor factors and ft a rear arb

If I got 256mm brakes for the front, would it be alright just to leave the rears as drums until such times as I can get hold of a Cav rear beam. Also, what Cav do you get rear ARB from, any or just a Turbo/2.0?
jrdn7

14th Apr 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Tbh unless you have some seriously good reason to keep that particular car, instead of changing the engine for a 1.6 16v just sell it and get a Sport instead. It will be far easier. The whole point in engine conversions is to put an engine that the car wasn't sold with in, so putting one in from a Corsa that you could just buy with it already is just making life hard imo.

But seeing as you're 17 with no NCB just work on the handling as others have said.

Sentimental values mate. A close relative did a lot of work to it, but he isn't here anymore, so I have to keep it.
thomson

14th Apr 11 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

save as much weight as you csn on it.

New Poll