corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDMI cables

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDMI cables
John

User status: Offline
3rd Aug 11 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate plastered an HDMI cable into the wall, papered, then broke the cable.

Been looking into it for a while, bought solder connectors and everything but have been reading about it quite a bit and the net is full of information saying how tight the tolerances are and it's almost impossible bla bla bla.

Was much easier to try cutting the cable and connecting a working end.

Ended up with the below and it surprisingly works perfectly.

My soldering isn't that good and the cuts definitely weren't all the same length.

Just think of this the next time you think your £100 cable is any better than a £5 one.

Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Aug 11 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No reason why it shouldn't work perfectly, the resistance on the joint is well within tolerance for those type of distances.

You would need really massive distances or a really dodgy repair, or lots of interference nearby to even get close to problems.

Agree completely on the cable cost thing, no idea at all why anyone needs to spend any more than the bare minimum.
Chrissy
Premium Member

3rd Aug 11 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup.. I was gutted when I needed one today and my poundshop didn't have any.

Grudged buying one for a fiver in Tesco.

>>>> Chris <<<<

Mike GSi

3rd Aug 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i bought my TV the salesman said that to get the best out of my set up i would need one of the £130 HDMI cables that they sell.

I asked him if i could have a look at the cable, made him take it out of the blister pack, then told him to do one, and went over the road to tesco and got a high quality one for about £12 lol
Dom

3rd Aug 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reason why you use trunking, saves a lot of hassle Looks like a decent repair though but how come you went with 'lecy tape rather than heat shrink the joints?
mwg

3rd Aug 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say plastered in to the wall do you mean it is actually buried in the plaster?
John

3rd Aug 11 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't have heat shrink with me, would have been tidier.

Yes in the plaster, said it was too tight for trunking.

If I just went on what I read I'd never have bothered trying that. Really need to know what to believe, especially on places like AV Forums.
A2H GO

3rd Aug 11 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wall was too tight for trunking (as per most new builds now) so I plastered it in. Within 12 months I needed to change about 3 of the cables (new TV, Sky, PS3, additional HDMI needed adding etc).

So decided to to a proper job and chizeled out a channel in the blockwork and fixed in some trunking.

Agreed on not needing to spend stupid money on HDMI's, all mine were £1 off Amazon.

[Edited on 03-08-2011 by A2H GO]

New Poll