corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hand Soldering Surface Mount LED's onto PCB

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hand Soldering Surface Mount LED's onto PCB
ed

User status: Offline
6th Jan 12 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hand soldering of surface mount components is possible by hand, I've just never seen it done first hand. I'm sure I've read that a few people have swapped dash LED's over e.t.c. on here before, so how did you do it?

Having a little trouble finding guides that make sense to me - is it very time consuming?
John

6th Jan 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's possible with a really fine tipped soldering iron.

There are better ways if you are doing it in any volume.
Dom

6th Jan 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, fine tip and steady hands.
Old man works with a guy that does all of their surface mounted stuff for prototypes; is ex-army bomb disposal which I guess helps Apparently he's quite impressive to watch, especially when doing surfaced processors/dsps etc

[Edited on 06-01-2012 by Dom]
ed

6th Jan 12 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got proper shaky hands

Basically, I'd like to turn this into a single board with a nice 28 pin header on the back of it and a load of SMD LED's on the other side:

http://edcs.me/files/2011/12/IMG_0862.jpg

Takes HOURS to assemble it at the moment.
Dom

6th Jan 12 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knock up the board with tracks and header and just stick to the usual cylindrical packaged LEDs; as mounting SMT LEDs will be a royal pain by hand. Unless you're planning to get a fair few done, in which case send it out to get knocked up with SMT LEDs (probably cheaper to get it done abroad).
John

6th Jan 12 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Build a reflow oven out an an old toaster, that's all the rage, seriously.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-a-Toaster-Oven-for-Reflow-Soldering/
ed

6th Jan 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Idea is to knock one up as a prototype by hand and then hopefully I can sell a few meaning I can meet minimum order requirements to get a batch made. I've got access to an 'oven' so I could do as John suggests with that actually.
ed

6th Jan 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One issue is I'm positively shit at Eagle

Designing a dual layer control board is easy, but to get it to route on a single layer seems like an art form.
John

6th Jan 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also read that a non modified oven works fine, switch it on for a bit, switch it off, leave it X seconds then open the door, gets close enough to the solder profile.

I'll have one of these btw if making a kit ed, easier than sourcing the bits myself
ed

6th Jan 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The oven I was thinking of is a bit more precise - it's purpose is for curing adhesives and carbon fibre so it's nice and accurate and has a built in timer and thermometer. Should do the job for knocking together a prototype.

Still need to re-design the control board if I'm going to be 100% happy, but I might rage quit and do a batch as is to start with. Would be a lot easier! Watch this space
Dom

6th Jan 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
One issue is I'm positively shit at Eagle

Designing a dual layer control board is easy, but to get it to route on a single layer seems like an art form.

You tried AutoCAD? Not sure if the recent versions have needed libraries but I used it years ago for doing simple layouts and found it reasonably straight forward for routing. Only issue was that you had to knock up your own libraries/components.

Never used Eagle although i've heard a few stories about it being a bit of a pig.
ed

6th Jan 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure it's the software, more of a lack of skill/tallent.

Getting there though! I think I need to think things through a bit more because it's not a magic piece of software that does everything for you!
ed

13th Feb 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The SMT components are actually remarkably easy to solder down and I've figured Eagle out. Slightly cryptic picture alert:

New Poll