corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LEB VPS's - now need some help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LEB VPS's - now need some help!
ed

User status: Offline
18th Jun 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't want to go off topic in James' thread but Dom brought something up that interested me

So, getting a VPS for peanuts with no configuration sounds brilliant - the one I use at the moment has Plesk on it and as it generates Apache configuration files itself it's a constant battle to keep the damn thing running. It overwrites a file somewhere and your websites all go down. This obviously wouldn't be a problem if I was using it the way Plesk intended but I need the ability to configure Apache how I like.

I had a look on http://www.lowendbox.com and there seems to be a decent collection of products out there. Does anyone know what sort of configuration I'd need to do to get a basic LAMP stack up and running? Thinking about security, do I need to take into consideration things like firewalls too?

I'd probably start with one for Apache and then get another for node.js so I don't have to do a reverse proxy.

[Edited on 27-06-2012 by ed]
noshua

18th Jun 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also had a look into LEB VPN's as a result of Dom's post. For the price they're amazing, however I can't think of a single benefit that I would have

This doesn't answer your question but I'm interested as to what people are using them for.
Dom

18th Jun 12 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a LEB box it's unmanaged (usually no backups are provided either), so apart from container/service support you're pretty much on your todd and it's obviously cost vs available resources, so you tend to install the minimal (my boxes haven't got DNS, Email, monitoring services install; which saves a fair amount) and optimise as much as possible unless you want to splash out on the VPS.

As for a LAMP stack, the main 'issues' is Apache and MySQL being a tad hungry on resources. MySQL you can optimise reasonably well for LEB boxes but Apache is a bit bloated compared to light-weight variants like Nginx (what i run on my boxes; great for reverse proxies as well) and Lighttpd. Only downside i've found to running Nginx is the lack of htaccess, instead everything is done via config files (reasonably straight forward) and requires restarting the webserver (not a big issue personally), and when using SSL it requires the PEM password everytime you restart (can get around it by decrypting the cert. key but obviously is a big security issue).
And if you can get away from using a control panel then do as again they'll eat resources. However there are a handful of decent free panels like Webmin, Kloxo (CentOS only), ISPConfig plus the handful of open-source panels (i'm currently working on a basic Nginx panel based on someones off LET).

As for security you mostly rely on decent iptable rules (software firewall; limit ports/ips etc). But obviously employ some standards like strong passwords, the use of non-standard ports where possible (SSH being the main one, mail too if possible) and setting up correct user/group permissions so you're not executing front-facing services under root (ideally you'd never touch root unless you need to).
There are a number of decent security 'addons' like Fail2ban and various rootkit scanners/AV's which are great but they all tend to be resource heavy.

LEB and LET forum (lowendtalk.com) are great resources, so is WHT (webhostingtalk.com) and howtoforge.com (some decent tutorials, although they aren't really aimed at LEB's).

And research your LEB host, plenty of c*nts that are just in it for the cash-n-grab and there's almost a weekly horror story on LET.

noshua - Cost is the main benefit ie: $1/2 a month vs $5/6 for a state-side VPN. Granted it requires 10-15mins of fannying around but still.....
ed

18th Jun 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info

I might give something other than Apache a go for the web server - the main job this web server will do is run a WordPress network and I have found WordPress config files for Nginx in a matter of seconds
Dom

19th Jun 12 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nginx's configs are pretty straight forward and i wouldn't say they're that much different to Apache. And you'll know doubt find plenty of tutorials on getting Wordpress installed on a LNMP stack anyway.

As for distro, personally i opt for Debian as it's relatively lightweight once you strip out the crap ie: a minimal install is around 10-15MB (i've seen smaller, MB's, but you'll fannying around forever) usage and on my LNP (no mysql) boxes it idles around 25MB (inc dropbear, syslog etc) and loads to around 50-100MB.

And it's worth looking at some of the custom install/config bash scripts (aka LEB scripts) that are around as it gives you a good platform to start with. There's a good thread over on LET - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2775
However with Debian i tend to use a mixture of >Minstall< for the 'clean package' (not all VPS hosts carry minimal install distro images, so this clears a lot of the crap that tends to get installed on the instance) and >ilevkov's< LEB script for everything else (although i've edited out the install of *top/VI/MC packages as a lot of them require python which, unless you need it, is rather bloaty).
ed

19th Jun 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the help again - Minstall looks like it'll provide a good base to start with. Best get PuTTY out and start configuring!
ed

19th Jun 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, don't have to worry about mail either - we use Google Apps for that.
ed

27th Jun 12 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, after saying I didn't need mail I just realised I do for WordPress signups and password recoveries.

How do I configure sendmail for PHP on an nginx server using Debian? I've found a few tutorials online but I can't get any of it to work
Dom

27th Jun 12 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you able to send mail if you cli sendmail (something like /etc/sbin/sendmail *email address*)?
Also worth flushing the iptables just to make sure you haven't got any dodgy rules.

Tbh i haven't had much experience with using MTA's on LEB boxes, although it was all pretty straight forward when i've installed Exim in the past.
ed

27th Jun 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I installed postfix and it just worked (though a few previous attempts didn't work at all). No idea why it worked this time round

Only issue is email goes straight through to the spam folder. The email address is wordpress@ecssrv.net which I can whitelist, but previously I don't think I had to. I'm guessing there's some more configuration that needs doing with that one?
Dom

28th Jun 12 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the VPS IP isn't blacklisted on any of the spam lists, i've seen it a bit with LEB boxes. Otherwise it probably isn't whitelisted with the mail server/ISP you're sending mail to, which case (if they have the option) you have go through the palaver of requesting a whitelist of the IP; from past experience with a clients mail server it's a royal PITA.

If you're going to be sending mail to clients/customers then it might be easier to use a third party SMTP.

Edit - Might be worth posting on LET and seeing what some of the LEB old-timers say.

[Edited on 28-06-2012 by Dom]
ed

28th Jun 12 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shout. Could probably set it up to use the GMail SMTP server with My Apps account if all else fails.
John

28th Jun 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it shows as originating from a single box it'll be blocked by loads of spam software.
ed

28th Jun 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just for completeness, here's what I did:

http://www.nixtutor.com/linux/send-mail-with-gmail-and-ssmtp/

Using a GMail account on a domain on my Google Apps account - PHP can now send mail straight to my inbox rather than spam folder. It's slower than doing it all locally, but it works.
ed

28th Jun 12 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and by ripping out Postfix and using SSMTP I seem to have halved the amount of RAM being used
Dom

28th Jun 12 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Oh, and by ripping out Postfix and using SSMTP I seem to have halved the amount of RAM being used

Good to know about SSMTP, will have to give it a try.

Who did you end up going with for your VPS anyway?
ed

28th Jun 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went with Evorack as they seemed to have loads of positive comments in their bit on lowendbox.com. They also have a £3.50 off deal at the moment

New Poll