corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Have I missed something? [video card help]

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Have I missed something? [video card help]
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Nov 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've assembled my new 'rig' last night, everything seems to work as expected except for the video card (Radeon HD 6870).

It's in the PCI Express 3.0 slot of my motherboard and I've connected 2x PCIe power cables to it from the PSU, but I don't seem to have any video output from the HDMI port. The card also has DVI and mini HDMI outputs, I do have a monitor with a DVI port on it so I'll try that later and yes in the BIOS it is set to use the PCIe card not onboard video.

I noticed if I remove the two power cables the fan on the card runs at warp speed and I can get output from the onboard video (even though I've told the BIOS I don't want to use onboard video, oddly enough).

Any ideas?

PSU is 650w and the only other things powered off it apart from the motherboard are an SSD drive and a DVD-RW drive.
Dom

8th Nov 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be a case of T&E tbh; chances are it's either a dodgy PCIe socket or a DOA 6870. As said, try the DVI port, failing that switch the card to a differet PCIe socket.
If you still haven't got life then try a different card on this motherboard and/or try the 6870 on a different motherboard. Last but not least, try a different PSU.
Sam
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dom.

I assume out the box it should just work from any port on the card?
Sam
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK I just used a single link DVI cable and cheapo HP monitor I use for testing on to this new system and there is video output now!

So now my next question is - how can I get it to output to HDMI? Bear in mind I've not installed an OS on the SSD yet. Is this something I can configure once the OS and ATI software is installed?
Dom

8th Nov 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Thanks Dom.

I assume out the box it should just work from any port on the card?

Ports usually have priority ie: in a dual-screen set up port 1 will default as the primary output, port 2 secondary (obviously you can switch this around within your OS). But you should get an output from both or all.

Could be a simple config issue so it might be worth booting without the 6870, disabling the onboard and setting the PCIe socket to initialise first within the BIOS, save/shutdown, then reseat the 6870.

[Edited on 08-11-2012 by Dom]
Dom

8th Nov 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
OK I just used a single link DVI cable and cheapo HP monitor I use for testing on to this new system and there is video output now!

So now my next question is - how can I get it to output to HDMI? Bear in mind I've not installed an OS on the SSD yet. Is this something I can configure once the OS and ATI software is installed?

Can't say i've seen that, must require drivers to switch the HDMI output. Only thing i can say is, give it a go
Just make sure you use the latest catalyst drivers.
Sam
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm

Well I'll install Windows etc. using my HP monitor and then once the Catalyst software is installed see if I can switch or enable HDMI.

New Poll