corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virtualisation question (ESXi)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virtualisation question (ESXi)
Aaron

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm new to virtualisation, so please forgive me.

I have ESXi installed onto a HP Microserver. As well as the standard 250GB hard drive, i also have 2x 2TB drives installed. These are each setup as a separate datastore, with each one being assigned to a separate server (i have two virtual servers, with one of the data stores assigned to each)

I'm just in the middle of duplicating the data from one drive to the next, and i was wondering about worst case scenarios. Lets say that, for some reason, i need to take one of the drives out to slap into a caddy so that it can be read by another computer. Because the drives are setup as virtual disks, would this mean that simply plugging a drive into another PC wouldn't show up the contents as usually expected?

I'm going to do exactly this once the data has finished copying, but i thought i'd ask here in the mean time, as i know there are a few knowledgeable people when it comes to this sort of thing.

Ta

[Edited on 23-12-2012 by Aaron]
John

23rd Dec 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not just a virtual disk, it's a datastore with one or many virtual disks on it, you won't be able to view it as a normal disk. Would need something that can mount the datastore then something that could mount the virtual disk from there.
Aaron

23rd Dec 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that what i suspected. Hmm, i dont think having my files stored in this way is the best thing. NAS needed imo
Dom

23rd Dec 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Requires a bit of a hack but, iirc, you can give ESXi direct access to drives (do a Google); at least then you can drag the drive out in an emergency and use it in another system.
John

23rd Dec 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can pass through certain parts of the hardware but I wouldn't do that for here.

Don't store all your data on a single drive whether it's ESXi or not.

I've got loads of servers in production use with the data stored inside a datastore. They are all RAID and all backed up though.
Aaron

23rd Dec 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed you're right about storing all the data on one drive, and that's why i always have a duplicate.

Never the less, i've come to realise tonight that my idea for storing my files (films etc) how i am at the moment is a bad one, which will prompt the thread i'm about to make about NAS servers...which will allow for RAID 5.

I considered ditching ESXi and installing something like FreeNas on my Microserver, as well as ramming it full of 3TB drives, however, i like to have the ability to faff with virtual servers etc.
Dom

23rd Dec 12 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Single drive would be silly but i was thinking more along the lines of - create a mirrored array (not getting anything fancier out of the Microserver unfortunately without a HW card) and then direct drive mapping to the array (that's if ESXi supports it).

Edit - http://cyborgworkshop.org/2011/01/08/enabling-raw-sata-access-in-esxi-free/

[Edited on 23-12-2012 by Dom]
John

23rd Dec 12 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the same on your HP box, fill with drives, RAID5, use ESXi and leave a few hundred gig free for virtual stuff.
Aaron

23rd Dec 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's my problem. It seems as though ESXi can only recognise drives which are 2TB or smaller. I bought some 3TB ones not so long ago...and no matter what i tried, i just couldnt get ESXi to see them. I scouted the VMWare forums, and it seems as though, without RAID, individual 2TB drives are the limit.

I should point out at this point that the microserver doesn't support hardware raid at the moment, due to having no controller.I guess i could buy a raid controller though.
John

23rd Dec 12 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably not worth buying a raid controller, use the microserver for playing about with esxi in that case and just get a NAS.

Did you ever install the latest ESXi? That supports 3TB drives as far as I know. The only 2TB limit is the virtual disk size.
Aaron

23rd Dec 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Probably not worth buying a raid controller, use the microserver for playing about with esxi in that case and just get a NAS.

Did you ever install the latest ESXi? That supports 3TB drives as far as I know. The only 2TB limit is the virtual disk size.

Yeah i tried ESXi 5, but unless i was making a mistake (a distinct possibility), i still couldn't get it to do what i wanted. Even if i could have got it to see the 3TB drives, the idea of only being able to have 2TB virtual disks seems like too much messing about. When it comes to stuff like this, i just like it to work out of the box So having to faff about creating multiple virtual hard disks to use up the capacity of the 3TB dries sounds like too much work....even tough it's probably a matter of minutes. I think a NAS is the best way to go as you say, given that i'd like/need the ability to transport the files to different locations every now and then. Any recommendations on a NAS?
John

23rd Dec 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't ever get more than 2TB virtual disks. I've got a 10TB backup server with 5 virtual disks because that's the way it had to be.

Can't ever just now, they'll eventually change the underlying file system and it will work.

[Edited on 23-12-2012 by John]
Aaron

23rd Dec 12 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah of course. What i meant was that the idea of having to create multiple virtual disks to take up the full capacity of the physical space doesn't sound appealing to me for what i need/want.

New Poll