corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » no oil pressure on startup C20XE

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author no oil pressure on startup C20XE
Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 13 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi guys,

went to a trackday at lydden hill today, as i was going round a tight corner and up a hill i had a load of white smoke flood out from the exhaust. believe i had an oil surge on the tight bend due to not having a baffled sump. cylinder 2's spark plug was wet. cleaned it off to stop it misfiring and made my way home slowly. when starting the car again at home i noticed i had no oil pressure

i revved the engine to around 3k and it kicked in. has been doing this on nearly every start up since. the oil pump is brand new has been used for around a week light town driving ( 15 mins a day) and then 5 laps on this track day.

does anyone have any ideas why i have no pressure all of a sudden?

[Edited on 02-03-2013 by Martin W]
andy_mk3

2nd Mar 13 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't suppose you've checked the oil level have you? May have burnt a good drop of oil on the track day!

Failing that, an oil and filter change might be a good place to start, also check the pressure relief valve for any debris and scratches etc.
Martin W
Premium Member

2nd Mar 13 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
Don't suppose you've checked the oil level have you? May have burnt a good drop of oil on the track day!

Failing that, an oil and filter change might be a good place to start, also check the pressure relief valve for any debris and scratches etc.

it did burn a fair bit , its a little bit above the minimum mark now. was thinking the pressure relief valve but its a new pump. only way that would play up is due to dirty oil isnt it?
andy_mk3

2nd Mar 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil level shouldn't be an issue then.

Was the pump a pattern or genuine Vaux one? I know people have had problems with pattern ones in the past.

But if some dirt or swarf is in there then yeah it can cause issues with the PRV.
Martin W
Premium Member

2nd Mar 13 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id imagine it was a pattern one. never had any problems with it driving down there, just after it blew all the smoke out the exhaust.
davegreen
Premium Member

3rd Mar 13 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a patern part pump fall apart before. screws came loose as they hadnt been locktited in. also had 1 with a defective casting which lost pressure.
andy_mk3

4th Mar 13 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah pattern ones aren't know to be very great, I can't imagine track abuse will help much either
Martin W
Premium Member

4th Mar 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spoke to the people i bought it from, they are making all sorts of excuses why they dont want to return it, they reckon they've sold them for 10 years and not had 1 back faulty.. gonna have another look at the pressure relief valve that i couldnt get out before going any further
monkeytwizzel

7th Mar 13 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the oil pressure sensor also incase some crap has got in it,check the strianer,oil and filter change,good luck hope it`s not terminal.
Martin W
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by monkeytwizzel
Check the oil pressure sensor also incase some crap has got in it,check the strianer,oil and filter change,good luck hope it`s not terminal.

something must have got blocked cant see the pump giving up. a couple of times it wold read zero then shoot up to 42 then back down to around 5 which was odd.

New Poll