corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Exhaust hitting the rear beam.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exhaust hitting the rear beam.
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Apr 13 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put an Irmy backbox and a new standard centre section on the car the other but didn't get them to seal up properly.

Took it to a garage today to get it sealed up properly and to fit some new powerflex bushes for the backbox, as it was sitting against the bumper before.

Only problem now is the clamp around the joint is hitting the rear beam, a lot!

Any ideas on solving it?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Backbox is sitting lower now thanks to the new bushes:

Here's a load of pictures from different views of the centre section, clamp, rear beam and handbrake cable clashing:

Seems like it could come out more:

Here's the cat/centre section joint:

Do you reckon pulling that joint apart a bit will do the job? I'm also planning on replacing the centre section hanging bushes for some shorter Powerflex ones to help raise it up a bit.

Suggestions?

MX5 Project Thread
Jed D

26th Apr 13 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first try rotating the center pipe a bit, mite be a fraction out of angle... if that doesnt work get and old tyre or something and wrap it round the axle and juberlee clip it on...

my exhaust isn't much of an exhaust anymore, it comes out just behind the front passenger wheel and i noticed the other day iv still got a timing belt wrapped around my axle
LukesCorsaSXi

26th Apr 13 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
get and old tyre or something and wrap it round the axle and juberlee clip it on...

That's what I did, worked a treat!
nibnob21
Premium Member

26th Apr 13 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With putting a bit of old rubber around it, what did you do about the handbrake cable?

MX5 Project Thread
Jed D

26th Apr 13 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant remember tbh, i dont think it was hitting the cable bit much
jay.jay

26th Apr 13 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put mine under the cable, never had any problems
stan_the_man

27th Apr 13 at 05:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rotate the clamp, that'll gain you some extra room.

Also those hangers look like they have another hole higher up. If thats the case, move the backbox up by using the higher holes.
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Apr 13 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jay.jay
I put mine under the cable, never had any problems

Yep I've done that. Got an old Vectra rubber car mat from the scrappy yesterday and chopped a couple of strips out of it and cable tied it to the rear beam. Surprised at how well it works actually.

quote:
Originally posted by stan_the_man
Rotate the clamp, that'll gain you some extra room.

Also those hangers look like they have another hole higher up. If thats the case, move the backbox up by using the higher holes.

Rotated the clamp, helped slightly but not much.

Putting the exhaust in the holes up will have it touching the bumper so can't really do that. May cut the bumper or get some different bushes, again. You can see in this picture how the whole system is a bit low.

I've ordered some new poly bushes for the centre section so that should raise it up more. But yeah the backbox needs to be a bit higher but without touching the bumper, maybe 3/4 of an inch higher.

[Edited on 27-04-2013 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread

New Poll