corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Mondeo ST200 mis-fire under load...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mondeo ST200 mis-fire under load...
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
10th Aug 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above. Bought an ST200 and it has a small running problem so any help from the Ford guys would be appreciated.

Basically, when you give the car some throttle in any gear, it gives off a kinda stutter/mis-fire, then pulls through it. Its not as bad if you just keep the revs low. It seems to clear itself after 4k ish and goes away and pulls clean and hard. If you come up to a junction and start to slow, you also need to be in say 1 gear lower than you normally would to pull out, or it just gives off the "cough" when you try pull away. Like if you try to pull away in 3rd at 20mph, it stutters, but if you are in 2nd, its not as bad.

The car idle's bang on, and revs clean when parked, the problem only happens under load.
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Aug 13 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

change the ignition side of things.

plugs, leads etc.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Aug 13 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to say fuelling until the bit about it clearing up higher up the range.

That has all the hallmarks of fuel supply, ie. its fine when the demands are low but struggles to supply when you're asking more of it.

However, clearing up higher up does complexify it somewhat, might be more tolerant of a lean burn up there or you might be getting a compression detonation and its something spark related as Chris says.

Service items are the first things to check as always - inspect the plugs and I'd also throw a fuel filter on there to be sure.
Corsa_Sport21

10th Aug 13 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably a good shout.

I did think of doing them, but then it made me wonder, if it is a plug/lead problem, why does it only do it under load, then clear itself?? I would have thought the problem would be there all the time
Corsa_Sport21

13th Aug 13 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, fitted a set of plugs, leads, coil pack, and EGR blanking plate (2nd hand but known good working parts) and gave the inlet side of things a good clean out.

Problem has been sorted and the car drives and pulls as it should. Pretty impressed tbh the way it picks up and hauls its heavy ass along the road.
3CorsaMeal

15th Aug 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had all the hallmarks of a coilpack issue
Corsa_Sport21

15th Aug 13 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also forgot to mention the plugs i pulled out were new, but changed them for peace of mind. Cylinder 5 plug was also loose, was able to screw it out by hand without the ratchet so possible cause.

Could have changed each part 1 at a time to check but its an inlet manifold off job for them all so would have too ages just to find the exact cause.

New Poll