corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Claiming Back Bank Charges?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Claiming Back Bank Charges?
Jill
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   23rd Nov 09 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys + girls!
I know it's been posted in the past but I can't really find the answer I am looking for in the stuff I have found using the search function tbh.

I want to know if anyone has successfully claimed for their bank charges and how did they go about it, how long did it take etc etc?

How does it work for example, say you have an over draft for £500 and you go over this to £750 and the bank charges you £x amount for the £250 unapproved overdraft- you are eligible to claim the £x amount back for up to the past eight years? Is this correct?

I am aware there is a ruling coming in to pace on the 25th Nov regarding bank charge claims btw but not sure if or how it may affect me.

Any help/info or advice very much appreciated. Oh I am with HSBC if this makes any diffeence or help with anyones replies

JILL
Cosmo

23rd Nov 09 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your best site to look on is moneysavingexpert.com as he will have up to date news on the ruling and how you can go about claiming it all back - all spelled out nice and simply.

I missed claiming it back the first time round by a few weeks so waiting for this new ruling myself. Not a huge amount to claim back tbh so not too fussed, but will anyway!
Jill
Premium Member

23rd Nov 09 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been on the site, thanks It sounds an awfully complicated process to go through, esp as some of the last eight years bank statements aren't online so will have to write to the bank to request them Do you know how long roughly it make take- I mean if it takes years/months etc for the claim to be approved or denied so to speak?

JILL
Cosmo

23rd Nov 09 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive no idea, I know they arent paying out at the moment so it just wont happen, but something seems to be coming to a head where they'll start doing so soon enough. In the past it didnt take people that long to get it back, weeks rather than months and years.

Oh, and the website does/did pre-written letters for you to just customise how you need and send off to the bank, so is fairly easy.
Nath

23rd Nov 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I missed the boat first time round also. Hopefully I'll be able to do it at some point.
Cosmo

23rd Nov 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can currently do it on credit cards BTW if anyone has charges with those.
Nath

23rd Nov 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting.
Cosmo

23rd Nov 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I expect 25% of all reclaimed monies for telling you that though.
Nath

23rd Nov 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Negative.
Jill
Premium Member

23rd Nov 09 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks cosmopolitan, you are the best!

JILL

ps: you can bugger off if you expect 25% haha
Cosmo

23rd Nov 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll do you a deal and only take 20% of yours.
Jill
Premium Member

23rd Nov 09 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm let me think about that...

NO!

JILL

[Edited on 23-11-2009 by Jill]
strick206

23rd Nov 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can write to your bank asking for exact dates and amounts of all charges on your account

They have the right to charge you 10quid for it though and you can't claim the 10quid back, but well worth it instead of going through everything
Rob_Quads

24th Nov 09 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure its only 6 years you can claim for.

Thus if you want to claim best do it now.

Its not too hard. All you do if add up all the charges you think are unfair. Send them a letter. If they don't reply put in a small claims court action.

I did it a few years ago and got £300 odd out of them.

Unfortunately now, all court cases are on hold and all new ones will be on hold till the big one going through the courts is settled i.e. it will be years before anything happens as even if someone wins the other party will then go to the appeals etc. etc.
Cosmo

24th Nov 09 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Pretty sure its only 6 years you can claim for.

Thus if you want to claim best do it now.

Its not too hard. All you do if add up all the charges you think are unfair. Send them a letter. If they don't reply put in a small claims court action.

I did it a few years ago and got £300 odd out of them.

Unfortunately now, all court cases are on hold and all new ones will be on hold till the big one going through the courts is settled i.e. it will be years before anything happens as even if someone wins the other party will then go to the appeals etc. etc.

Its been won, and the appeal announcement is due tomorrow.

That is expected to go the way of the consumer again, and then it looks like the politicians will step in and put pressure on the banks to prevent them taking it any further legally.
Twiggy

24th Nov 09 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also if your in financial difficulties the banks have to look at your claim regarless of the test case.... Think you have to submit a I&E for this....
Jill
Premium Member

24th Nov 09 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for you help everyone I'm not in financial difficulty, it's just my boyfriend noticed on my online account some charges for exceeding the agreed overdraft and thought I should look into it. I am going to give it a go and see what hapens. Thanks again for your help and advice!

JILL
Simon

24th Nov 09 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty sure i heard a couple days ago that a decision had been made in court regarding the charges but there would be an appeal so it wasnt likely to be resolved for another few years
Cosmo

24th Nov 09 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
pretty sure i heard a couple days ago that a decision had been made in court regarding the charges but there would be an appeal so it wasnt likely to be resolved for another few years

No, it has been made and it was in favour of the consumer. They then appealed and the result of that is announced tomorrow.

They could take it higher int he courts but its been said that the politicians will step in and prevent that from happening.
Tom

24th Nov 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
You can currently do it on credit cards BTW if anyone has charges with those.

How far does this go back? What if you've closed the account?

I'm going to claim all my HSBC charges from the last 8 years I already have a current account with another bank too incase they get shirty
Cosmo

24th Nov 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure tbh, money saving expert website will explain it all for you
Tom

24th Nov 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a look, not going to bother with the credit card charges just the bank charges.

thanks
Robbo

24th Nov 09 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got abouit £3-400 back a few years back, easy money really
strick206

25th Nov 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the banks won, so that's put pain to claiming them back for at least the short term
Simon

25th Nov 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1230742/Bank-charges-Supreme-Court-rules-favour-banks-unfair-overdraft-test-case.html

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll