corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » piston rings

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author piston rings
danbo

User status: Offline
18th Jan 11 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi everyone just wondering on a rough price to get piston rings done? was told they might need doing as plugs were oily on 1 and 4 kept causing misfire problems and bad running. And other plugs sooty. Keep cleaning them up now they only get sooty. Within a week the problem can come back so think it is the rings. Cheers
Gary
Premium Member

18th Jan 11 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

500 min i reckon.

Big job.
danbo

18th Jan 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so price to get done anyone?
danbo

18th Jan 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks you reckon its worth rebuilding engine too if its such a big job?
danbo

18th Jan 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the rings are worn would it cause damage or would engine be fine still till they're done?
Gary
Premium Member

18th Jan 11 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by danbo
if the rings are worn would it cause damage or would engine be fine still till they're done?

They could snap and scratch your bores (worst case) THen your looking at a rebore/new engine.

If not it'll just get smokier and smokier.

WHat else out of interest?

If its a 1.2/4 then put a new lump in. Tbh even its a valver id put a new one in unless your good with engines.

Your garage bill to swap like for like will be less than a rebuild

danbo

18th Jan 11 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks
ite a 1.6 and i like them and want to continue using a 1.6.
was considering rebuild but think it will be expensive, or get another engine but i'd want to rebuild that before putting it in anyway to be on the safe side - tired of engine trouble.
or buy a reconditioned one - any info or advice on this?
cheers
I'm not bad with engines but it would be alot of effort and time to find to do it these ecotec engines can be annoying to work on i've found
danbo

18th Jan 11 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and anyone else got any advice
if i left it for a while and it just got smokier etc and fouled the plugs would that be it or would i be looking at it affecting the engine more like the strength if it got hot etc? as i would then rather rebuild a healthier engine than rebuild one that may have been affected if you see what i mean

any advice would be a great help in deciding best thing to do without wasting money.
philip2

18th Jan 11 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where are you from and what 1.6? 8v or 16v? i could rebuild the engine but id only want the engine no inlet, ex, starter etc. but i can get prices for all parts to rebuild
danbo

18th Jan 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from near portsmouth mate so quite far. its a 16v, and I would get some other parts to uprate if was rebuilding.

Ideally I’d want to uprate my engine starting from new condition which makes me think either start with a reconditioned engine or rebuild another engine or my own engine depending on the condition.

Really I was after info on if people would rebuild an engine that had been running needing rings for a while so asking if it would of affected the condition. Like glazed surfaces inside or anything like that.

and any info on reconditioned engines
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
18th Jan 11 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it were me in that situation I would probably find an appropriate donor and throw it straight in. Rebuild is expensive and for the most part, unnecessary.

You could probably source and engine for 150 quid. Parts alone for a proper stripdown would come to more than that before you turn a spanner.

[Edited on 18-01-2011 by Ian]
danbo

18th Jan 11 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds the easiest and cheapest way to solve it

but then i'd have to try and find a decent engine, come across alot on here than aren't really up to what I'm after. so i'd want to rebuild it anyway lol

just want a reliable engine to stop giving me headaches
philip2

19th Jan 11 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rebuild if went new pistons...ideally would set you back about £600-700 in parts i reckon for everything
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

19th Jan 11 at 02:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i snapped a crank causing a bad knock

paid for a re conned engine as mine would have been fucked

piston rings went, so took it back for another rebuild

that then spun a shell

ended up just chucking in a second hand engine

personally if it was me i'd rather fix the engine i had because you know its a decent motor, where as you run the risk of getting a dodgy second hand one. but the second hand one i put in was far better then the shite i had rebuilt
danbo

19th Jan 11 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer thats what i thought. Risky buying a second hand engine. But if i've run my engine needing piston rings for so long would i have risked fucking it up abit now which would be a waste rebuilding or you think would be fine? How long would it take an engine building company to rebuild one? As i'd lose use of a car for a while. Only companies i know near me are regal.
danbo

19th Jan 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

?
shaunmods
Premium Member

19th Jan 11 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't risk buying another second hand engine that you aren't planning on rebuilding mate. I made this mistake with mine. X16XE's are notorious for burning oil and smoking so you could well end up with another knackered one. On the other hand you might not but it is a risk unless you can see the engine running before hand.

If possible I'd strip down your current engine and see if its salvageable. As said providing the rings havent snapped and majorly fucked the bores you'll be fine.

[Edited on 19-01-2011 by shaunmods]
danbo

19th Jan 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers everyone. How would i tell if the engine is in pretty good condition inside what would i be looking for? Would there be anything noticeable taking off the cam cover and looking for anything think i read once may cause a bronzey colour on the surfaces, and if looks clean keep it and get the rings done checking the bores then and rebuilding it, or would i have to take head off just to know anything.

[Edited on 19-01-2011 by danbo]

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
19th Jan 11 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not a risk, buy from an accident damaged car, or better buy the entire car.
danbo

19th Jan 11 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buying the whole car i'd have to then get rid of it. Currently have a 1.4 to break already and don't have much time for that. Unless you meant keep the car in which case my corsa is quite modified and rather keep it instead of redoing it. Getting alot of different advice lol. Another engine would be good as i could get it built up to a good spec and get the engines swapped over fairly quickly. But i wouldn't want a bad engine

Nickb

20th Jan 11 at 06:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me personally I would rather rebuild the engine for peace of mind, think my rings are shot now I'm alittle tight on cash but iv worked it out to be apron £230 in parts, I run the c16xe which is practically the same engine, here's a break down on what I plan to replace:
Head gasket set incl bolts £35
Timing belt kit £45
Water pump £20
Thermostat including housing £10
Big end bearings £25
Piston rings £60
Valve Stem seals (incl in head set)
Sump gasket £3

How handy are you? Do you know your way around an engine? Has to be said mind I do recommend "philip2" sound lad he fitted an engine for me not so long ago work was of very good standard and price was more than reasonable
danbo

20th Jan 11 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm pretty handy at fixing things on it but after taking the head off my old 1.4 it wasn't a fun job with bolts and hoses that wouldn't come off. I'd have to do it on the road aswell and this time i'd rather have peace of mind that its done right.
danbo

20th Jan 11 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone know if i need to change anything else to fit x16xel head or if my standard x16xe parts fit on it like coil pack etc and if a mantzel would fit it. I read on sbd website that they flow best.
shaunmods
Premium Member

20th Jan 11 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty sure the loom for the injectors, icv, tps etc is different for the xel. I remember jibjob off here having a problem when he changed his (x16xel to x16xe)
philip2

20th Jan 11 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

headset, sumpset, big ends, mains, oil pump, water pump, belt kit, headbolts, rings or pistons, prices all depends on quality of parts used. elring, victor rienz, mahle, acl, gates, dayco are who i use

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll