corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 2.1 speaker system connected to TV question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2.1 speaker system connected to TV question
Daveskater
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Mar 12 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I have a Samsung P2270HD TV which has a PS3 and Sky box connected to it, both over HDMI through a splitter. What I'd like to get is a 2.1 system so I can have decent sound for films etc, but I have nowhere to put an amp (let alone the budget to go down that route). What would be ideal is this, but it's nearly twice my budget.

My TV has an optical output, so it looks as though I could get a DAC and a 2.1 set like this. I want to check first that it would put anything being shown over the TV through the external speakers, i.e. if I watch a film through the PS3, the sound will come through the 2.1. Will it work like this or would I need an amp etc and then use HDMI pass-through? Cheers.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you plug the ps3 to the tv and the plastation to the 2.1 via optical it will work
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or do you want the tv through the speakers too?
Matty SRi

4th Mar 12 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just my stereo on my tv and just have it plugged in through the headphone socket.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read it and yes you do, plug the tv to surround via optical
Daveskater
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I want to connect the TV to the speakers via optical as sometimes I'll watch films on the Sky box, or might just want it for TV.

I only ever use the Sky or PS3 to watch things, so am just thinking that it might only output through the optical for the Freeview or whatever.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing MSPaint image of what I'm trying to do:

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Toby
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will work but all you will be left with is Dolby prologic at best if whatever your plugging the optical into can output it, at worst your just going to have the same audio coming out of every speaker, in effect just increasing the volume
Toby
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In order to benefit from multichannel audio you need to avoid using the TV as that will take a multichannel audio and decode it to 2 channel and then output the 2 channel over the optical
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what the fuck is that hdmi box?
andy_mk3

4th Mar 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
In order to benefit from multichannel audio you need to avoid using the TV as that will take a multichannel audio and decode it to 2 channel and then output the 2 channel over the optical

That all depends on the TV though really, my Sony TV will output full 5.1 from my PS3 and HTPC.

For the PS3, you need to set the audio output to bitstream to get it to work through the TV.
Daveskater
Premium Member

4th Mar 12 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mark - http://www.maplin.co.uk/compact-hdmi-selector-220674

I know I'm not going to get master audio or anything with this sort of setup, but it's only 2.1 so how amazing can it be really? I just mainly want something better than the tv speakers

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have got a tele with more than 1 hdmi slot
AndyKent

5th Mar 12 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Samsung TV has a headphone out, I just plugged 2.1 pc speakers into that - cheapness
3CorsaMeal

5th Mar 12 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell it all and get the Onkyo htx22hdx

Was recommended to me on here and i bought it, really like it
Balling
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the type of setup you're talking about, just use headphone out tbh.

That's what I have in the bedroom along with a Creative 2.1 system. More than adequate.

3CorsaMeal

5th Mar 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just noticed your links in 1st post.

i have that onkyo and also have the aego M one, i use the aego for music from ipod and laptop and the onkyo for sky & xbox

keep an eye on the onkyo on amazon and i got it for £199, then went back up to £265
Daveskater
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm tempted by the Onkyo system because then there's the possibility of getting the upgrade package in future and then having 5.1. Currys currently have it for £199

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
3CorsaMeal

5th Mar 12 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm really happy with it, the aego m one i blew up the satellite speakers and one of the outputs on the sub/amp unit. think i had music too loud, its a loud system for its size. i now have it powering some old kenwood speakers and it does that quite well

decided not to use the onkyo for music

some people just add a centre speaker to it, instead of the whole 5.1 package
Toby
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
quote:

That all depends on the TV though really, my Sony TV will output full 5.1 from my PS3 and HTPC.

For the PS3, you need to set the audio output to bitstream to get it to work through the TV.

very rare though for a TV to pass through multi channel audio from HDMI to its digital audio output
Daveskater
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you use it for music, Jim, too loud?

Toby - that's what I was afraid of. Only problem is I don't think there's any real way of knowing without having all the kit. Might see if I can push for the Onkyo, as it's not that much more than all the optical gubbins anyway.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
andy_mk3

5th Mar 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
quote:

very rare though for a TV to pass through multi channel audio from HDMI to its digital audio output

This is the first TV I've done it with so wasn't sure really, I guess I'm lucky lol
3CorsaMeal

5th Mar 12 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't want to break it. Think these small systems aren't meant for overly loud annoy the neighbours music
James

5th Mar 12 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was about to suggest the Onkyo setup until you said it was over your budget.

I personally think it's worth the investment, it will give you more flexibility.

Currys have it for £200 at the moment and Richer Sounds will price beat that by at least a tenner, making it £190.

Only £50 more than that dodgy looking thing you are looking at
James

5th Mar 12 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK just read the whole thread and realised that everything I said has pretty much already been said

[Edited on 05-03-2012 by James]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll