corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » pc wont turn on

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author pc wont turn on
John

User status: Offline
24th Dec 07 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I estimate dell psu's cost about £1.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Dec 07 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£50 is reasonable for the full job if you consider diagnosis, liability and support. I personally wouldn't quote on that until I had seen it and probably swapped out some bits to make sure it is actually the PSU and not the board or other components drawing load.

I've done jobs in the past at mates rates and those are often the ones that end up costing money to have done. I know a guy who fitted a £7 modem and ended up spending £140 on a board, supply and memory because he goosed it. Obviously that was a bit noobish but while you're not perfect at everything in the world you need to factor in cash for actually getting it right.

I know plenty of people who would be very happy with having their computer repaired for £50 as they know it'll be done right and if there's a problem it won't be left. That said, I also don't drive to jobs as I'm not insured for business use and I don't buy anything until I'm as sure as I can be that it's required.

Anyone wanting to work for nothing is welcome to, but that's not how it really works.

Regarding actually fixing the problem, I would have the lid off and check all the cables are sound first, the try unplugging all the peripherals - drives etc. - to make sure they're not causing the PSU to shut down.

[Edited on 24-12-2007 by Ian]
MikeD

24th Dec 07 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me mates rates is charging them for the part only, it only takes a few minutes to fit any part thats needed.

one of my mates HDD went just recently I only charged him for a new one, Installing/configuring windows I didnt ask for anything it only takes about 1:30 to do and for a mate its no problem.

I would never take on a personal job for someone I didnt know as things do go wrong, and personally I do enough of it at work to then come home and have to do more just depresses me.
Andrew

24th Dec 07 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't sound like Mark has changed any components. If the PSU makes a noise then that to me sounds like it is not a fuse.

One thing i would do is to get and air gun and blow all the dust out of the PSU. Also to remove the power for a few seconds and then try and power up the PC.

Also, remove the system battery. Leave that removed for a few minutes and then insert again. Make sure there is no power to the PC.

Some manufaturers also use smaller PSUs. In which case you need to order them directly form the manufacturer. Had a server the other day which had ver strange connections to it. We had to purchase a PSU direct from hp.

[Edited on 24-12-2007 by Andrew]
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he hasnt said the psu makes a noise

you will also find any dell psu you will have to order straight from dell as they cunningly fit psus that have th epower input on the opposite side
Andrew

24th Dec 07 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That the newer ones Steve?

Changed a dell one a few months back but that was a PC at least 18 months old.
MikeD

24th Dec 07 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steve he does say it makes a noise in his first post.

If its a dell there is a trick where you remove the power and battery and hold the power button in for about a minute. then try it again
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
steve he does say it makes a noise in his first post.

If its a dell there is a trick where you remove the power and battery and hold the power button in for about a minute. then try it again

he said the pc makes a noise, not necessarily the psu
MikeD

24th Dec 07 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without some kind of power the PC wont make a noise?
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont see what you mean?

he said the pc makes a noise, that doesnt mean the psu ismaking the noise? and doesnt 100% mean the psu is the fault either
MikeD

24th Dec 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the PSU is not working the PC will make no noise (its like unplugging the power and trying to switch it on) you get nothing.
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, i think what andrew was getting at, was the psu itself was maiking a noise, ie buzzing or something to indicate it was faulty.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorted now

unplugged it over night

thanks steve.
_Allan_

24th Dec 07 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
sorted now

unplugged it over night

thanks steve.

Keep an eye on it you'll find if it goes once or twice then it could fail not too soon altogether. I always do regular backups on a spare drive just in case
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be alright, mine does it everynow and again, just leaving the power out sorts it, and if the hardware does fail, unless its the hard drive itself you'l be able to get the data off anyway, unless youve got some software raid array set up lol

[Edited on 24-12-2007 by Steve]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got nothing on the pc anyway
ed

24th Dec 07 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jump start it with a screwdriver?
John

24th Dec 07 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
If the PSU is not working the PC will make no noise (its like unplugging the power and trying to switch it on) you get nothing.

No, psu's fail without being totally dead.
MikeD

24th Dec 07 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive only ever had a PSU POP not once had it fail in any other way?
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 07 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah if they dont make required voltage can cause dodgy symptoms

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll