corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Merit C18XE - 1/4mile pics and vid pg5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Merit C18XE - 1/4mile pics and vid pg5
MELV14

User status: Offline
13th Dec 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knocked off work early today and took a trip to the scrappy. Good news is that there are 3 x F16's there. All are from Cavalier SRi's (8v's I presume) so am I correct in thinking that they will be F16CR boxes??

He said £60 for one. I'm thinking of going back and waving £50 in front of him. Now I just need to investigate if the F18 clutch that is on the engine I have will be OK to use with the F16.

I have purchased 2 x 3 point harnesses in black for £67.85 delivered which I will get some pics of when they arrive.

I will have to give autovaux a call and get hold of a release bearing too as the guy I bought the engine from said it was beginning to get noisy
MELV14

13th Dec 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Astra sport I have decided that a hole in the middle box would be a good idea.

Priced it up a kwik-fit - £100

Local tyre and exhaust place was £85. Told the guy I would go for his price as long as he removed the Lexmaul 4 branch and replaced it with standard for me and it was a deal.

Got the Exhaust done around lunch time on Thursday.
Picked up the car at about 4
Left work at about 630 then this happened................

MELV14

13th Dec 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purchased June 06 for £1000. 45K miles, FSH, 1 owner

Died 10th December 2009 at 1830hrs

Place of death

The story:

Left work late at about 6.20 and started to take the usual route home. Dark, about 5 degrees, no rain and had not been raining all day, roads were damp because of the cold temperatures during the week and the grit the council had been putting on the road.

So heading out of the industrial estate onto an unclassified road making my way to the A96 a black BMW comes hurtling round a blind corner way too fast. I was approaching the corner at about 30mph having slowed from about 45mph. Before I knew it the BMW was on my side of the road about 50 yards in front of me.

My choices were (1) swerve left onto a foot of grass then stone wall, down a 3 foot drop into a field. (2) stay where I was hoping he would be able to swerve and avoid me. (3) swerve onto the wrong side of the road.

By the time I had braked and thought what to do in the 50 yards away from me it was too late.

BANG!

Airbag deployed, pre-tensioners work, I get turned more than 90 degrees in the road.

I look down expecting to see blood. Nothing. I look around hoping that the car behind me managed to stop in time. It did.

I look to see where the BMW is. Can't see it.

I undo my seatbelt, open the door and get out. Coughing and struggling to breathe because the airbag or steering wheel has winded me to notice the BMW in the field which was on my left before the crash.

I waffling a bit now......... As my Astra is blocking the road I call the police. I start to warn other drivers approaching the accident from the blind corner to slow down after I put on my florescent work jacket. Both myself and Keith (the BMW driver) pass a breath test, swap details and give the police our details.

Anyway. Enough text. Here's the aftermath.

Injuries -

[LIST]
  • Bruised ribs - seatbelt
  • Sore shoulder - seatbelt
  • 2 sore toes - pedals
  • grazed arm - gear lever
  • bruised hand - Think it hit the dash
    [/LIST]

Thank Christ for the seatbelt and airbag. Saved my chiselled good looks that is for sure! lmao lmao lmao

I was going to be selling the Astra but I guess that idea is ****ed now
  • MELV14

13th Dec 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least the 4 branch was in the boot so it was saved to live on in the Corsa..........
    sam13

13th Dec 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glad to hear your ok mate that looks a serous impact.
    MELV14

17th Jan 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really been much happening. Set of black harnesses arrived before Christmas, I bought another set of headlight protectors (£10 all in as the guy on ebay had them as protectErs and not protectOrs as I managed to break one of mine removing it :doh:

Also spotted an F16 box for sale locally for £25. Just need to phone about it again then hopefully pick it up soon.

Picked up a post 97 front bumper last night. Met Kennybarbour from MIGweb in Aberdeen and swapped him a bottle of vodka and a case of bud for it. Good thing is it came with a badgeless grille so that's one less thing I have to buy.
    MELV14

6th Mar 10 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's been a while.

Ellie now has a Mk4 1.6 SXi and no longer needs the Corsa to run back and forth to work meaning I can crack on.

The SXi came home last night as Ellie left the Corsa in Aberdeen. We went to collect it today and got home at about 3pm. I decided to have a wee tinker about since it was dry and still light plus Ellie was away to visit a mate and show off the new motor.

I whipped the rear wheels off the MGZR and threw on a pair of the Corsa's original 13" steels ready to get the tyres swapped onto the front of the SXi.

OK. I will stop fannying about. Corsa update time.............

I bought a Tigra scuttle panel from Robert Kassner a wee while ago so that was on my list for today.

before

Xmas present from Mum will come in very handy

13mm nuts off and wiper arms off

school boy error (the washer)

5 phillips screws removed and scuttle prised out

cheers Robert.

Tigra scuttle on top and corsa one underneath (knife was for the parcel tape)

all done

Also fitted the 2nd set of headlight protectors I have bought for the Corsa as I snapped one from the first pair removing it for cleaning. £10 posted as the guy had described them as "Corsa headlight protectErs"

notice the bumper is all to c0ck in this one? Ellie had a little off in the snow so I will have to whip it off, investigate any damage then fit the red post 97 bumper and badgeless grill I have

The eagle eyed readers will have noticed the different wheels in the above pic. The 14" steels were down to about 2 - 2.5mm so I threw on the sport alloys I had in the boot of the Astra when I crashed.

It's badly needing a wash and a polish but that can wait.

more updates next weekend or tomorrow maybe.

P.S. - No point in trying to hack my photobucket! It's private, there are no pics of me with my c0ck in the wife's mouth and there are none of her with her minge out!
    Mark.W

6th Mar 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Huge shame about the astra mate it looked a nice clean example.

Corsa looks to be coming along nicely too
    MELV14

7th Mar 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers Wooly. I'm just glad nobody was hurt in the crash. Insurance gave me £815 for the astra too which is more that I would have got selling it
    MELV14

20th Mar 10 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a fairly productive day today although I don't like what I found.

Before

And now

and what I didn't want to find. It would seem that 20k miles commuting and one Scottish winter didn't do two of the drain plugs any good. You can see in this pic that
    I seperated the pre-tensioners from the Tigra subframes but I am not fitting them or the Cobra seats until I can find someone to do a bit of welding for me.

Eye's for the snap hook harnesses fitted.

So until the holes are welded the cat will be happy............ lmao

MELV14

28th Mar 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK. Time for another wee update.

With the headlining out the interior light was just flapping about. Ebay to the rescue. £3 posted for a caravan type light. 2 holes drilled, wired up and screwed in.

Hardly the brightest light in the world but it will do.

£100 each for Cobra specific subframes will have to wait a while so I bolted back in the Astra sport drivers seat and took the harnesses out of the packet.

Harnesses were cheap from Paddock Spares - £29.50 + VAT each.

I wanted them in black as they are more subtle in my opinion.

Went to see a man about a dog this afternoon and I will be getting the holes in the floor welded some evening next week. All cheap, cheap. Thank ****.

Ooh! Forgot about these.......

Free delivery from Murray. They came from his Grandads Astra Merit Auto. Thanks very much John.

Should fit in with the sleeper look rather nicely.

Just need to get my hands on a heat gun now then I can get cracking with removing all that tar crap with the help of the 3 for £1 decorating knives I scooped up from Tesco.

MELV14

10th Apr 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another update since I didn't have to go and watch a vessel loading today.

It was relatively warm today so I decided to attack the tar type crap on the inside

2 carriers full.

Just need to get all the glue off and then a lick of red hammerite but couldn't be arsed today

Also whipped of the tops of the door cards. Left the pockets as they are handy.

Fitted a jesus handle to the passenger side as there wasn't one there before, my sunglasses holder to the drivers side and tidied the wiring for the interior light

Darryl H
    Organiser: South Central
    Premium Member

10th Apr 10 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good one question isnt the handle the wrong way up? or is that deliberate?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
    am4nf

10th Apr 10 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just about to ask the same thing

Also, you say your photobucket is private? is that becuase you have naughty pics?

MELV14

11th Apr 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
    Originally posted by daz1492
    looking good one question isnt the handle the wrong way up? or is that deliberate?

Cheers Daz. I never even noticed TBH. Might just change that as it does sit a little wierd

quote:
    Originally posted by am4nf
    I was just about to ask the same thing

Also, you say your photobucket is private? is that becuase you have naughty pics?

Nope. Always had it that way as there is some really randon crap in it
    Darryl H
    Organiser: South Central
    Premium Member

12th Apr 10 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol thats alright

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
    MELV14

20th Apr 10 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus handle changed round to the correct way up.

Gearbox bought, release bearing paid for and all these parts paid for

GAZ Coilovers to fit Nova/Corsa fitted with 2L 300lb springs

Bilstein Yellow rear shocks to fit Corsa/Nova

-60mm Corsa/Nova Rear Springs
    [
    MELV14

21st Apr 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a wee spec list. More as a reminder to myself

Body -
    3dr Merit Shell in flame red / pink
    Post 97 front bumper
    Badgeless grill

Engine -
    C18XE (Mk3 Astra GSi), Lexmaul 4 branch exhaust manifold, K+N panel filter, polished and enlarged throttle body, magnecor blue or red ignition leads, regal 200 cell sports cat

Gearbox -
    F18 (Mk3 Astra sport)

Suspension -
    Front - GAZ front coilovers with 2L 300lb springs
    Rear - Bilstein yellow shocks and -60mm springs

Wheels - Choice of

14" Steels with vauxhall wheel trims
    15" Mk3 Astra Sport
    15" Mk 3 Astra GSi Phase 2 (Irmscher twin spokes)

Brakes -
    256mm brake set up (Mk3 Astra GSi)

Interior -
    Stripped
    Astra sport recaro's
    Tigra height adjustable subframes
    2 x 3 point Securon harnesses
    Astra 200iS Opel steering wheel

Other -
    headlight protectors
    sunglasses holder
    glove box from a GLS
    Tigra scuttle panel

Thanks
    Brad35, Migweb - Engine, hubs, shafts, mounts, loom, etc
    Drizz, Migweb - Steering wheel
    Egay - Headlight protectors
    Di.ck Raper, Migweb - Original supersport suspension
    Savage, Mk3oc - Throttle body
    Robert Kassner, Migweb - Tigra scuttle
    Paddock Spares - Harnesses
    Murray, Migweb - Wheel trims
    Autovaux - Consumables and parts
    NotNormal, Migweb - Gaz Coilovers, -60mm springs and Bilstein yellows
    MELV14

24th Apr 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK. Wee bit of progress today but no pics as my internet connection is down again. Just up at my brothers house.

75k Mile, F18 with spare clutch, gearbox mount, linkage, clutch bolts and box bolts all bought this morning. £50
    Tin of Hammerite (hammered red) bought this morning. £12 (for the inside once the tar crap is off)
    post 97 rear bumper in flame red, with mudflaps bought this afternoon. £20

Whipped off the old rear bumper tonight before it got dark, wire brushed some very slightly crusty bits that were underneath and sprayed with stone chip.

I'm going to change the front bumper, grill and horn tomorrow too.
    MELV14

30th Apr 10 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This weekend should see quite a bit of progress............
    MELV14

2nd May 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK. Progress has stopped. Ivan is working at 6 so we packed up for today. Picture and story time.......

I picked up Ivan at 8am (ona fu(king Sunday :yuck: ) went and collected his tools from his garage, a jack from Disco Neil and then another Jack from Ivan's shed. Back at the car for 9am.

Removed all the airbox gubbins, disconnedted everything that needed disconnecting and it looked like this

shafts and hubs off

the man himself loosening my nuts

mounts undone and ready to drop out

done

It was then time to remove anything we needed. Whipped off mounts and anything else that looked useful. A new release bearing was fitted to the new F18 and we thought we better get something for lifting the C18XE into place.

Mr Bunch was called as he had what I thought was an engine support. It was a hoist! Fail.

Nipped over to a garage and luckily the main man was there. Hoist borrowed.

Pics are a bit lacking now but the engine is in the bay and the gearbox is nearly connected. We were having issues so we called it a day with the plan to start again at 8am tomorrow. Hangover permitting lmao

On Saturday I painted the boot floor and where the rear seats should be.

More pics and progress tomorrow. Maybe even a vid of it running if we get the connectors to the fuel rail worked out. Corsa had push on ones and the C18XE had threaded ones.
    mex

2nd May 10 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all i did for the fuel line on mine was :
    Find a vectra 1.8 16v and cut the end of the fuel lines off, join them to your corsa with some petrol pipe and decent fuel connectors ( not jubilee clips ) mine has worked for 5 months with no problems
    Mieran

2nd May 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what paint did you use for the boot floor?
    MELV14

3rd May 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
    Originally posted by Mieran
    what paint did you use for the boot floor?

It's just hammered red hammerite. Needs another coat as painting red on red means it's difficult to see missed bits

quote:
    Originally posted by X18XEFUN
    all i did for the fuel line on mine was :
    Find a vectra 1.8 16v and cut the end of the fuel lines off, join them to your corsa with some petrol pipe and decent fuel connectors ( not jubilee clips ) mine has worked for 5 months with no problems

Cheers. I will give that a go if we have any problems finding the screw in bit from the fuel rail. Ivan (the guy doing all the work lol ) works at a breakers yard so we should be fine for finding something that will work.

MELV14

3rd May 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After a hell of a night out last night we started the corsa rather late today...... 5pm lmao

With my head still pounding we decided to drop the engine down again to get the box fitted up

all done and sitting on its mounts now.

Never got any more pics because it was dark by the time we finished. Wiring is all connected up, rad, fan, 4 branch, etc all connected up too. I had to cut off the old exhaust as it was pretty ****ed.

Only things that are needed will be 2 track rod ends, an exhaust of some sort, 1 screw in fuel rail fitting and that's it.

It will be running and insured for next weekend then I will just need to get the docs sent away to the DVLA so that it's registered properly

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Merit C18XE - 1/4mile pics and vid pg5 24 database queries in 0.0218260 seconds