corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New Nokia Lumia 920

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Nokia Lumia 920
chrisritch

User status: Offline
11th Sep 12 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
The N95 made me chin them off, if it was a vehicle, it would be a write off the amount of times that fucker crashed.

Still rock a N95 (mainly for battery life) and so far it's been rock solid, even survived a fair few bounces on the ground.

chrisritch - What was wrong with the N8? Thought the recent firmware updates (there's another on the horizon) was suppose to sort a lot of the bugs out?

Tbh, i'm all over the 920 - top notch spec and it's brilliantly designed (they just need to do it in cyan). Will have to wait until i see WP8 in the flesh though.

I had 4 as my work phone and they were useless, always crashing and just gave up and died after about a week each, Will never own a Nokia again. Got a BlackBerry and its been perfect and not caused me many problems aside from the odd freeze but its probably less than 5 times in 2 years and it gets a fair whack of abuse.
AndyKent

11th Sep 12 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My N95 was a good phone. Ironically was that phone which made me want a app-based smartphone but unfortunately Nokias were all shit

Liking the look of this one though. On a cheap contract I could be tempted.
Russ

11th Sep 12 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks beautiful, bet its a good £100 cheaper than the iPhone too
Dom

11th Sep 12 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
that looks beautiful, bet its a good £100 cheaper than the iPhone too

£400-500 is what's being rumoured but it's now an EE exclusive over here so contracts are going to come with a LTE premium

Have read there is to be a non-LTE version, which would open it up to other networks, but from what i can see Nokia hasn't mentioned this. If there isn't then it means getting a sim-free unit shipped in which is a bit of a PITA.
Hammer

11th Sep 12 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will flop.

Lumia's are lovely pieces of kit but the software on them just doesn't work properly or as good as the alternatives.
Dom

27th Sep 12 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparent pricing (from https://www.facebook.com/nokiaitalia) - Lumia 920 - €599 / Lumia 820 - €499.

Quick comparison of the 920 OIS vs iPhone 5, S3 and One X; the OIS is pretty impressive - Nokia Lumia 920 face off with image stabilization test

Some low light camera comparison shots - Low light Shootout

Hammer - Well it's all resting on whether or not WP8 will cut the mustard. Certainly from what's been previewed and the rumours it will but who knows until the unveiling.
However the hardware and design of the 9/820 is spot on!
Cavey

27th Sep 12 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is, people want apps, they want to be able to download the thing that everyone else is playing, and play against them.

Will they be able to on WP8?
John

27th Sep 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microsoft is still too big to change the things they have to quick enough. A big massive ship that's slow to stop and turn, same as Nokia were.

For some reason (the massive amounts of cash they were given) they backed the wrong OS.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Sep 12 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Some low light camera comparison shots - Low light Shootout
That's pretty impressive on Nokia's part.

Wonder what's going on with the S3, though. That's almost surely got to be a software issue.

dannymccann

27th Sep 12 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I loved my N95 8GB, excellent camera too (Carl Zeiss lens wasnt it?).

Always had Nokias until I got my HTC Desire, not sure I would want to go with Windows Phone for now, quite happy with Android, looking at S3's when they release the next one so the price comes down into a more affordable bracket
A2H GO

27th Sep 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by John
Wireless charging makes me wonder if the iPhone will have it.

Doubt it, they'll wait for the next one then claim they invented it and call it iCharge or something.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/apple-seeks-patent-for-inductive-charging-mat/

A2H GO

27th Sep 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Lumin 920 ran iOS (as well as iPhone does) I'd be on it quicker than you can say fanboy.
Dom

27th Sep 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
If Lumin 920 ran iOS (as well as iPhone does) I'd be on it quicker than you can say fanboy.

If you're playing that game then it'd have to be JB, at least it'd look like it belonged on the 920 rather that iOS which would stand out like a sore thumb.

As for the Apple's iChargeiWireless mat....

Balling - No idea but that looks like a piss poor effort from Samsung. But as you say, it might be software or a setting somewhere.
John

27th Sep 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wish samsung would hurry up and bring out the s3 wireless charging kit.
A2H GO

27th Sep 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO

If you're playing that game then it'd have to be JB, at least it'd look like it belonged on the 920 rather that iOS which would stand out like a sore thumb.

As for the Apple's iChargeiWireless mat....

Balling - No idea but that looks like a piss poor effort from Samsung. But as you say, it might be software or a setting somewhere.

TBF I'm all up for giving WP8 a chance but not for £500 and no apps.
Hammer

27th Sep 12 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Hammer - Well it's all resting on whether or not WP8 will cut the mustard. Certainly from what's been previewed and the rumours it will but who knows until the unveiling.
However the hardware and design of the 9/820 is spot on!

I hope so.

Missus has the previous Lumia. The physical phone looks good, the OS looks slick and it feels well built. However, it turns itself off when it wants, it's slow and clunky and there is nothing for it in comparison with Android and iOS. You want it to be good but in fact it is shite.
Dom

1st Oct 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.digital-phone.co.uk/product/nokia-lumia-920-yellow.aspx#
Pre-order sim-free price - £469.99.
Little bit cheaper than the 'euro' rumours and if that is the final price then it's pretty cheap considering the spec. Be interesting to see what the sim-free price of the 820 ends up being.

And a little snippet on the wireless stand -
quote:
It appears Nokia’s Wireless Charging Stand is not just a dumb wireless charger, but also comes with a NFC tag which will launch an app you specify automatically when you place it there.

This would for example let you automatically launch a clock application at work or say Xbox Smartglass at home without needing to do anything besides dropping it in the cradle.

Nokia has not priced this accessory yet, but it is this kind of innovation which will make the gadget worth the price.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokias-wireless-charging-stand-is-nfc-enabled/
Balling
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is fucking brilliant with the NFC. Wonder if you could do more stuff. Like launch clock app and set phone to wireless?

Russ

1st Oct 12 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wireless what
Balling
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was meant to say silent or vibrate...

Russ

1st Oct 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought you meant turn wifi on, but i thought, normal people have it turned on constantly anyway
Dom

1st Oct 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
That is fucking brilliant with the NFC. Wonder if you could do more stuff. Like launch clock app and set phone to wireless?

I imagine it'll be part of WP8 or there will be apps, similar to the ones on Android, that'll allow you trigger 'actions' when it detects the NFC tag.
Certainly isn't anything new as you could achieve something similar with other RFID/NFC phones, the appropriate tag and a dock; but it'll still be pretty handy for lumia users.

Now we just need to wait until the WP8 event later this month
Gary
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks smart. Needs android.
Balling
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And a diet...

Gary
Premium Member

1st Oct 12 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks an alright size to me

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll