corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Collapsed Lifter

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Collapsed Lifter
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
7th Nov 03 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right if one of the valve lifters has collapsed i think, load tapping noise from front of engine right where the cam is car wont go about 60mph and engine management light comes on, is it the lifters and what is the best way to make sure i get rid of any metal fragments in the engine without totally fucking it.
The engine will be out the car cos i will be changing all 16 of them, its a C16XE
Plus how do you fit a universall FSE power boost valve to a C16XE they dont make a specific one so it will be a universall one
cheers
miles

7th Nov 03 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do make a specific one. You'd just put a universal one inline and keep the standard regulator.

A lifter wont put the ecu light on or affect performance. The only thing that can break in a lifter is the small spring, and this shouldn't leave metal in the engine. How do you know its broken and not just dirty and clogged?
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know it is broken yet, the valves are fine so one hasnt dropped into the cylinder, with the cam cover off every thing seems to be ok, the noise is coming from the top end, at the front of the engine,????? what do you think it could be
The fse power boost valve i was told you have to bypass the standart regulator, how do i fit that then
cheers
miles

7th Nov 03 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a really bad noise? Or just the tapping of the lifter(s)?

Lifters wont affect performance though. Does it rev freely? What the engines performance symptoms?
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah real bad noise mate, the car was towed home to save any more damage, dont rev freely wont go above 60mph, i was gonna order 16 new lifters on me lunch break but not too sure now!!!
JJ

7th Nov 03 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN, WHAT WHERE U DOING WHEN IT HAPPENED???
miles

7th Nov 03 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh it sounds like something worse than lifters. Take it apart and investigate.

Did it just happen suddenly? Were you ragging it? Or did it progressively get worse?
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just happended, i think i will have to strip the engine down, giving it some beans, it aint gonna be anything like, a cracked piston or some thing
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos it happend so suddenly some thing must have broken, all the exhaust valves are in place thats where the noise is coming from!!!!
JJ

7th Nov 03 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Almost sounds like a chiped valve, this happened a friend of mine when he selected 2nd while going for 4th at 6000rpm, smashed valve guides and bent 8 exhaust valves, it ran like a dog, marked the pistons and everything...
miles

7th Nov 03 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked the cam belt hasn't slipped? Could be a whole number of things. Strip it and see.
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i will strip it and see what the damage is, dont think its gonna be too expensive, the oversized pistons have 2mm valve pockets in them but only running standard cams at the mo so i dought there was contact, gonna get the head taken off to check pistons and valves, just ordered new lifters, head bolts and a whole top end gasket set so hopfully thats all i will need
any more input would be great thanks
miles

7th Nov 03 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what pistons do you have?

I cant see how a lifter can destroy performance.
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The engine had had a re-build 1500miles ago just been run in the lifters wernt changed, its got 0.5mm over sized pistons
Greasemonkey

7th Nov 03 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

/\

New Poll