corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » c20xe on carbs - help needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author c20xe on carbs - help needed
Doug_SRi

User status: Offline
27th Jul 05 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got an xe running on carbs and as i bought the engine complete with everything i didnt know what ignition set up it had apart from it was a different distributor and that. My distributor looks like this...
which i have been told is from a mk2 cav 1.6. I was told i had the wrong ignition coil as i have one like this....
and there is an ignition amplifier as well. I am presuming since the wiring loom is removed thats the reason i cant use the standard xe distributor and also will i need the cav mk2 1.6 ignition coil and ignition amplifier? Car currently runs but it was just a mechanic that told me i had the wrong coil
Nic Barnes

27th Jul 05 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a coil is just a coil on them. when i had carbs on an xe nova i had i ran cav mk2 1600 8v dizzy, coil and amplifier. only problem i had was it had to be massicely advanced to run.

the coil on my old xe engine in a nova, running the xe stuff was just a one off a 2litre 8v astra

you cant use the xe dizzy as there is no electronic advance as you dont have an ecu. the old style one in the pic has the ability to e advanced enough by hand by loosenin the bolt and turning it as the xe one is solidly bolted on with 2 offset bolts and aint going anywhere
Nic Barnes

27th Jul 05 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and also if you have the cav 1600 dizzy like in top pic, you can get the loom and coil and amp off one from a scrappy. think its only summit great like 3 wires to make it work
Doug_SRi

27th Jul 05 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, just now its just 3 wires which are connected, black, green and brown, live, rev counter and earth i think so will either look in the scrappy or just buy a coil an amplifier. Not sure what amplifer i currently have but the guy just told me i needed an electronic coil but think i will just try an find a 1.6 8v coil tomorrow
Nic Barnes

27th Jul 05 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, just get the coil and amplifier off the car, then theyre the same so gonna work.

an electronic coil? theyre all electronic
Doug_SRi

27th Jul 05 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport

an electronic coil? theyre all electronic

yeah thats what was confusing me when he told me about it

New Poll