corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bit of help and advice for a Vauxhall/Corsa virgin?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bit of help and advice for a Vauxhall/Corsa virgin?
stuffing

User status: Offline
   19th Dec 05 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey everyone, I'm currently driving a Saxo VTS (alright, alright, less of the boo's, hisses, and disgusted sneers!)... I've got a bit sick of the dodgey french heap of poo, and i've spotted a Corsa for sale with what appears to be a C20XE lump in it...

I've done a bit of research with my limited access to the site, and decided to register to ask some more questions, mostly because my knowledge of Vauxhalls and Corsa's inparticular is very limited!

The guy at the garage didn't seem to no much about the car, but said when i come to see it i could have the previous owners number - let's hope the previous owner is willing to have a discussion about his old car!

When you guys have an engine conversion such as the C20XE, are you inclined to keep the history prior to the conversion?
Do you often no much about the donor engine's history?
The Rocker cover is the main way of distinguishing the C20XE from the Ecotec lumps right?
When changing the engines over, what would be the recommended minimum increase in braking? And suspension?

ok, i reckon that should do me for now... I'm sure you guys can appreciate that i'm a complete newbie to this, and i do apologise if these questions have been asked a million times before (i no what it's like on the SSC!)... but any help is very much appreciated!

shane2corsa

19th Dec 05 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to be looking for any major oil leaks, around the cam seals and cover, easy to mend though! particular on the red tops listen for any signs of knocking or rattles and any smoke (though a little is quite normal) lol

the brakes need to be astra 16v or similar, the suspension ideally needs to be springs and matched dampers, courtney springs for the weight of the engine or even better coil-overs! ask for reciepts from the last owner!

make sure the driveshafts arnt sloppy and make sure the engine isnt on the piss! seen a few! make sure the wiring is all nice and tidy and everything works properly (gears/clutch etc and all electrics inc engine fan)

the chaps on here will answer any other worries! from my experience the XE is very good if well looked after and of a low mileage or been re-built! ask the questions and you might get a minter!

shane
stuffing

19th Dec 05 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superb mate, cheers for the help!

I've just found out that a friends boyfriend knows (or atleast thinks he knows) the previous owner... so hopefully i should be able to get some very honest opinions about the car!

ed

19th Dec 05 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a few people will give the engine an overhaul or re-build before they fit the engine. Most don't though I'm affraid.

The main things to check on the engine side of things are, timing belt - when was it changed last? Rocker cover seal - Is oil pissing out of it (very easy fix)? Coolent - Is it maynoase? There is a problem with the later heads - they go pourus, if the head gasket is fine but the coolent is mayo, then the head is fecked, but can be repaired. Sump gasket - Is it leaking excessively? You will find that they all leak a little bit I'm affraid, It's a 'feature'
stuffing

23rd Dec 05 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well guys thanks for the help, doesn't look like i'll be buying the corsa though!

It was in great condition engine wise, however the clutch's release bearing sounded like it was on the way out, and the gear box was a little fishy to say the least!

The car had no power steering, which i was half expecting as i'm sure the conversion is easier to do if you ditch it... But i'd still like to have power steering! And the throttle was the heaviest throttle i've ever come accross in my life!

[Edited on 23-12-2005 by stuffing]

New Poll