corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Brake problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake problem
Jake

User status: Offline
30th Mar 06 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

press the pedal any amount, i can feel a knocking in the brake pedal sort of like the abs is kicking in. No ABS light on at all so any ideas?

thanks
scott d

30th Mar 06 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at a guess worn discs or pads. might be worth bleeding and new brake fluid.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

30th Mar 06 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same, is there a vibration as well? mine was warped front discs, but if you cant feel it through the steering wheel, it could be warped drums.
Jake

31st Mar 06 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my opinion i dont think it needs new discs, it had new pads fitted 300miles ago so that isnt a problem. Since i got the car i presumed there is an airlock in the brakes as it always had a fair bit of travel in the pedal but never made this knocking before, i cant feel it in the steering wheel either.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

31st Mar 06 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly rear drum related if you cant feel it in the wheel. an airlock or fluid related problem will make the pedal go soft. jack the back of the car up and spin the rear wheels while the engine is running, get someone to press the pedal gradually until the shoes start to grip on the drum. if the braking is uneven, i.e locks on then off as you spin the wheel then theres your problem, likely to be an oval drum.
Jake

31st Mar 06 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
possibly rear drum related if you cant feel it in the wheel. an airlock or fluid related problem will make the pedal go soft. jack the back of the car up and spin the rear wheels while the engine is running, get someone to press the pedal gradually until the shoes start to grip on the drum. if the braking is uneven, i.e locks on then off as you spin the wheel then theres your problem, likely to be an oval drum.

That could possibly be the problem, thanks.
YT

31st Mar 06 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also have this problem i just thought it was the front brakes going to but my 2.0 16v brakes on the front at the weekend, should i do the rears at the same time? My brakes seem to have gone really bad and when braking the whole car is vibrating :???
Jake

31st Mar 06 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ive just gone out in it after swapping and tightening the rear wheel and it isnt doing it anymore. So maybe it was just a case of the rear wheel being loose
YT

31st Mar 06 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesn't sound too good! I have only just recently had new wheels put on so i will have to check that as well

New Poll