corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Headunit and Sub

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headunit and Sub
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 07 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its going to sound crap but can you run a sub off the headunit alone without a amp?

I have a full wiring kit etc just not a amp yet cos im skint at the moment

By the way im running it off a Panasonic CQ-C5303N

Thanks Si
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Jan 07 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really no. Suppose you could run em off your rear speaker wire but it wont do em any good.

Just save up and buy an amp, Might have one for sale quite cheap u2u me if your interested and i'll get some details
Simon_16v

22nd Jan 07 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O right, just asked on a audio site im sorta part of and they said you could but didnt state on how.

I dont get any voltage or anything from the rca cable. Whereas on the front speakers they get like 22 on me multimeter, think it was on micro volts.

Iv got it running off the rear speakers at the moment but the rear speakers distort where-as the sub dont.

The sub is a Kicker substation KS80 which i got free off a mate.
Simon_16v

23rd Jan 07 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump
Cupra Steve
Banned

23rd Jan 07 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no. if you run a sub through speaker outputs then it'll be kicking out vocals!!!
Simon_16v

24th Jan 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its funny that its not playing vocals as subs had a different voice coil in them
Gary
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 01:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SRi_Si
Well its funny that its not playing vocals as subs had a different voice coil in them

If the subs are on your speaker wires they will be kicking out vocals as they have no crossover to filter out all the mid and treble. A sub is just a speaker at the end of the day.

And why does a sub have a diff voice coil??
b4l

25th Jan 07 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

subs can play vocals but most subs do it so badly that you cant really hear them.
ive only ever heard 1 sub that was able to play vocals that i could hear coherently and that was a £500 MTX 9515

To answer your question yes you can run a sub off a headunit. You simply bridge the 2 rear channels on your headunit. (+ve from 1 channel and -ve from the other)

I would not recomend doing this, because you risk buggering your headunit. and as mentioned above the sub will be playing a full range signal which will sound prety crap. Normally subs are operated on a low pass filter.

Bal

New Poll