corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Other pc has problems help please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Other pc has problems help please
Matt L

User status: Offline
24th Feb 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parents pc is having problems lately ( i never use it so never seen it happen)

but the screen will occasionally go blank and say out of range on it, so have to switch pc of by the button at the back, and hen turn it back on and it works again for a bit and does the same apparently.

any ideas what could be wrong??

pc spec = no idea
monitor = viewsonic ve770 iirc
dannymccann

24th Feb 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly something changing the resolution / refresh rate settings to something the monitor cant handle? When it does it again, ask them to try pressing the Windows key and see if it goes to the desktop
moka

25th Feb 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be that or it could be the pc is going into standby and cannot sucessfully get back out of it (ive seen this a few times)... check its not set to go into standby after a certain amount of time (control panel power settings)
dannymccann

25th Feb 09 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Moka says as well, if it is that problem (i had it before) and power settings dont help you might have to go into the BIOS and modify the System Standby settings (there is like a Level 1, 2 and 3 I think) and either turn them off or change them, each level turns more and more stuff off (or leaves it on, depending which way you go)
Matt L

25th Feb 09 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moka
could be that or it could be the pc is going into standby and cannot sucessfully get back out of it (ive seen this a few times)... check its not set to go into standby after a certain amount of time (control panel power settings)

definatley isnt that cause it does it while being used.
moka

25th Feb 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its probably what danny said then - out of range does mean its in an unsupported resolution. Some programs/applications such as games can change the resolution on startup. Windows key or ATL + TAB to switch back to the desktop. Try and find what application if any could cause this.
Matt L

25th Feb 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it will be ie that does it as my mum only tends to use the net on there will have a look and set the resolution to what it should be if it isnt already.

if that doesnt solve it god knows (may suggest a new pc as i want the monitor haha.
moka

25th Feb 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not going to be IE - it will be something that uses full screen (not just maxmized). A game for example. But yeah if you want the monitor then the graphics chip inside the pc has fried its internal memory chips - tell her it needs to be soldered to fix - say it will need to be sent off to microsoft so bill gates can fix it personally and it will cost upwards of 200k. Then your have that monitor
Matt L

25th Feb 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well thats the only thing they use on there (no games on it at all) so thats the only thing i can thik it is.
John

25th Feb 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swap monitors if you have another computer in the house and that'll narrow it down to monitor or pc to start with.
Matt L

25th Feb 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its more pc based, as when ever i have used the monitor (once or twice had my pc set up as dual screen) it never did it, but it has only started to play up since then... so could be the monitor, i dont know will have aplay with a few settings tonight.

New Poll