corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » antifreeze colour

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author antifreeze colour
Cossie

User status: Offline
20th Jul 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi just wondering what antifreeze colour should I use on the x16xe as I think I mixed the antifreeze and turned brown rusty in a month !!
Ste
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 02:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pink.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Terry12

21st Jul 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you used.
Some is blue and others pink like Ste said.
It's probably brown from your radiator.
Jake

21st Jul 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found with halfords pink stuff it looks rusty when its mixed with water.
Cossie

21st Jul 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Radiator was flushed a year ago and was no rust in it. I head my head out and was cleaned remoced some block rust and new antifreeze was topped up with differnet colour after few miles it turned into rust
Terry12

21st Jul 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about pipes?
If the radiator just had cold water flushed through it's not going to remove the stuck on rust inside the rad.
alan-g-w

21st Jul 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same happened to me. I took the bottom hose off, let the old rusty coolant drain out and stuck a garden hose in the header tank until it ran clear. Topped it up with water and anti freeze mix and it's turned brown again.
3lfz

21st Jul 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Antifreeze in july?
alan-g-w

21st Jul 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most are meant to have a rust inhibitor in them as well.
Terry12

21st Jul 09 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3lfz
Antifreeze in july?

Antifreeze/summer coolant.

Running just waters causes the brown rusty water!
As Alan said antifreeze contains rust inhibitors.
3lfz

21st Jul 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok thanks
Cossie

21st Jul 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually I was running antifreeze alone with no water mixed so it was not cause of water that it rusted also I use a good quality antifreeze not cheap ones !! and still rust formed ! my question is how I am going to remove rust formed as layer in pipes and rad also interior rad heater without removing them from car.
Terry12

21st Jul 09 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cossie
Actually I was running antifreeze alone with no water mixed so it was not cause of water that it rusted also I use a good quality antifreeze not cheap ones !! and still rust formed ! my question is how I am going to remove rust formed as layer in pipes and rad also interior rad heater without removing them from car.

If you look at my post you'll see I was quoting somebody as to why antifreeze/summer coolant should be used all year round.

Did you use pre-mixed antifreeze or just pure antifreeze without mixing it?

Have you had the car from new? Maybe a previous owner ran just water and caused the rusting before you bought the car.

Only thing I could suggest that wouldn't damage you car would be using water and vinegar solution and run your engine for 20 minutes or so then flush it.

Vinegar removes rust. Just don't leave it in too long.
Cossie

21st Jul 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
quote:
Originally posted by Cossie

If you look at my post you'll see I was quoting somebody as to why antifreeze/summer coolant should be used all year round.

Did you use pre-mixed antifreeze or just pure antifreeze without mixing it?

Have you had the car from new? Maybe a previous owner ran just water and caused the rusting before you bought the car.

Only thing I could suggest that wouldn't damage you car would be using water and vinegar solution and run your engine for 20 minutes or so then flush it.

Vinegar removes rust. Just don't leave it in too long.
:

yeah was using pure antifreeze and yeah car had a bit of rusty antifreeze when I bought car so removed pipes and rad and cleaned everything and was fine for about a year when I had bend all valves so had my head out and cleaned it and eventually add some antifreeze different colur and brand and rust appeard after 1 month
Terry12

21st Jul 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pure antifreeze? Can't see that being any good.
You must have rusty deposits inside the rad and pipes mate. Flushing with plain water won't clear it all.

New Poll