corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » painting question - primer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author painting question - primer
GavCorsa

User status: Offline
9th Oct 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who uses primer when doing a colour change?
i always have in the past, was thinking is it actually needed?
Gareth F

9th Oct 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess so to give a bit more grab than paint to paint.
Tony M

9th Oct 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Several things to watch out for here. Are there any rust spots or bare metal areas showing? Have you used any filler or stopper? if so, then these areas will show through the new colour if you don't use a primer.

If you are keeping the same colour, then make sure you use the same colour primer as original or this to will produce a lighter shade in your top coat.

I know it's a pain, but for the additional effort re-priming the car all over you will get a far better job.

Don't forget to wet-flat all paintwork and primer coats with 400grade wet and dry paper before applying the top base coat.

Good Luck.

New Poll