corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » BT broadband: help, any loopholes?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BT broadband: help, any loopholes?
csweatherston

User status: Offline
16th Nov 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi.
Ive been a subscriber of Bt broadband for around 5 years (unlimited package.)

When i first subscribed there was a 12 month contract which then renewed itself after the fist 12months, meaning i could cancel at any time.
However recently i received a phonecall saying " our new policy is to open a new contract every 12 months" so i gave confirmation etc etc

Renectly my internet has dropped to .5mb peak time, so i phoned (india) to find out what was going on... they then tell me i have been 'throttled' for breaching the FUP which is 100gb d/l.

There is no way i have exceeded this, as my downloads come to around 45gb for last month.
all i can guess is its from p2p gaming?? COD/ WAR etc.
which is useless as not i cant do anything online till after midnight.

But now i cannot cancel for around 10 months.

Any ideas of what i can do?? short of funding a new broadband line from a different ISP?

Regards
Callum

(ps. sorry for the essay)
N3CRO

16th Nov 09 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They did this to me also although gave the excuse that my phone line can only take a .5Mb connection (even though I'd been getting a steady 6Mb for 3 years) so I told them where they can shove it, paid off the rest of the contract, am now with O2 16Mb (Line can only take .5Mb huh BT?) and couldn't be happier
noshua

17th Nov 09 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, you can pay the contract off.

You could argue that your line is shit all the time, but if you're getting full speed some of the time (i.e. when you're not limited) then they won't take any notice.

Also, there's no way in hell that playing games has taken up 55GB of bandwidth.
Richie

17th Nov 09 at 05:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to check that your router is locked down and no-one is leeching from your wireless connection if you are 100% that you aren't responsible for that amount of bandwidth.

This type of behaviour can be sorted like I managed to do with Supanet about 3 years ago when they brought in traffic shapping. It took a call to Ofcom to explain the situation and get a reference, then sending a letter detailing everything to Supanet and Ofcom with the Ofcom reference number on there. Was enough for them to agree to cancel the 10.5 months remaining on my 12 month contract without question or penalty.

You should go down this road - and also check the forums on http://www.thinkbroadband.co.uk/ for other users on BT in the same boat as you

[Edited on 17-11-2009 by Richie]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Nov 09 at 06:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll echo Richie's post here, make sure your router isnt open and someone is spanking your bandwidth through the wireless connection. I dont think its possible to generate 45GB of gaming traffic over a month, and if it was then the ISPS would be in alot of trouble in terms of capacity planning

New Poll