corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Small block tuning...1.4 16v... no muppet replies please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Small block tuning...1.4 16v... no muppet replies please
BLine_Sport

User status: Offline
6th Jan 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone got any experience of outputs and any graphs of tuned 1.4 16v engines... im thinking of sticking with the lump in the car rather than an xe conversion.... ive made diy bodies from bike bodies before so im thinking along these lines with 4branch and cams and installing the mappable ecu ive got kicking about....ideas and info?

Originally i was going to let it but ive decided i cant be bothered with reliability issues and potential expense of grenaded turbos, blocks, sourcing let parts etc...

And im looking at spending on the stock block rather than the expense of a properly done xe conversion...

Intelligent replies please.....
Ellis

6th Jan 10 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Linch may be a good one to speak to about this, he's got TB's on his. It may be a 1600 engine from memory but it still could be beneficial speaking to him...
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jan 10 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd probably not get alot out of it.

for the price of an xe conversion you'll only get the same power from an x14
philip2

6th Jan 10 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said, say a decent xe conversion is circa £1k.

buy the time you buy cams, pulleys, sort everything out for tbs/carbs with ecu, exhasut manifold, lightened fly, maybe ported head etc, it would of cost the same and you'd get maybe 125-130bhp or so from it. where as an xe is 150bhp+ as i know a few that have made really good power as standard
BLine_Sport

6th Jan 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see i was discounting manifold and exhaust as ill buy a new head back system whichever route i go.. and ive already got an emerald in the garage so was looking along the lines of cams and a set of bike bodies and would do all the work myself inc mapping (yes i do have a lot of experience).
philip2

6th Jan 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why buy a new head?

can only go for something like a 264cams before need to pocket pistons, and tbh for the £££ of the cams its a waste for little gain
BLine_Sport

6th Jan 10 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

headback system as in manifold, decat, system... this is the kind of info i was seeking as in restrictions etc as there seems to be little info on here regarding tuning the engine
philip2

6th Jan 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats your budget then? what sort of power do you want etc?
BLine_Sport

6th Jan 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was hoping to reach 130 out of the 1400.... intending on 3-400 on a decent exhaust system, a body set up will cost me around 100 as ill fabricate my own manifold etc as ive done before.. and then was going to look into cams, ive already got an emerald about doing nothing so planning on doing that... if i was to xe id want to use new hoses instead of cut down ones and all conversion parts so around 600-700 and then a c20xe and id want to rebuild it as you never know what you are getting where as i know the lump in my sports done circa 40k and is in good condition so you can see my reasoning
BLine_Sport

6th Jan 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also with keeping a 1400 it would keep me in a class down in hillclimbing
philip2

6th Jan 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if going for own tbs and management and are happy enough to strip the motor then id look towards:

lightened/balanced bottom end

arp rod bolts

pocketed stock pistons( SBD may still do them) but you deepen them by 2mm anyway, so if know of a good machine shop then no problems

ported/polished head

278/284cams(stil retain hydraulic followers

decent 4-2-1 or 4-1...dpending on whether trying to go for more mid or peak power

i would like to say what it would make as i never answer the question when people have builds/heads off me, as everyone will be different, but it should be a pretty revvy/pokey motor for reasonable cost.
Linch

6th Jan 10 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
if going for own tbs and management and are happy enough to strip the motor then id look towards:

lightened/balanced bottom end

arp rod bolts

pocketed stock pistons( SBD may still do them) but you deepen them by 2mm anyway, so if know of a good machine shop then no problems

ported/polished head

278/284cams(stil retain hydraulic followers

decent 4-2-1 or 4-1...dpending on whether trying to go for more mid or peak power

i would like to say what it would make as i never answer the question when people have builds/heads off me, as everyone will be different, but it should be a pretty revvy/pokey motor for reasonable cost.

Couldnt of said it better! Some newman 288 cams would see it well
philip2

7th Jan 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rate newman over kent/piper everytime.
Linch

7th Jan 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same here mate, Cat cams seem to be quite good for the money too!
philip2

7th Jan 10 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next all steel 20xe i may try catcams if they do a 310-320profile:d

New Poll