corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » UPVC Window Problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author UPVC Window Problem
Mike2k111

User status: Offline
30th Dec 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Appologies for the rubbish picture,was taken on my phone and getting a little dark.

Basically i've just moved into a flat and found that one of the windows won't close properly, this little plastic piece in the corner of the frame is the culprit. The peg on the corners of the windows seem to slide into these plastic bits to pull the window tight to the frame. One of the ones on my frame looks pretty knackered so it's not pulling the window in properly and theres a fairly big draft coming in.

Need to get hold of a replacement, they only look cheap, but i've no idea what these things are called. I can't even find them on any window accessory website or anything. Anyone have any idea?
Bonney

31st Dec 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There called restrictor hinges.

First thing you need to do is to find what profile system the actual window frame is in, As there are different sizes for the different systems. (It goes off the amount of space between the sash and outerframe. If you get one too small it will bind, If you get one thats too big it won't close properly)

Then when you have found out, The easiest way is to find a local window company who uses the same type of profile and see if they will sell you one. Alternatively go to a local trade window place. Theres bound to be one near you.

When you take the old one off, If you look at the side of the frame that goes into that black plastic part, check how much it overhangs the sash by, and fit the new restrictor hinge to the frame. If you dont do this the frame will not lock properly, and also it will bind with the locks.

Bonney

31st Dec 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try these.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=upvc+window+hinges&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Mike2k111

1st Jan 10 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great stuff, thanks a lot mate
Bonney

2nd Jan 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even better, Take the hinge off, and measure how wide it is when its closed. When you have the size find one the same size on that ebay link and order one fron there, Bit less running around for you
corsa_godfather

10th Jan 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the height of the hinge is called the stack.

it will either be 13mm or 17mm stack.

you can buy a set off ebay prob £10 delivered tops.

take the screws out and take the sash off.
close the hinge over and measure how much it over will usually be overhanging how much the stack is.13 or 17.

easy job justget someone to help you hold the sash when you unscrew it off frame.

any more info just pm me.i make these for a living and am a repair man in my spare time
corsa_godfather

10th Jan 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-Inch-Side-Hung-Window-Friction-Hinge-Upvc-13mm_W0QQitemZ110465669093QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item19b84457e5

New Poll