corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Best way to tackle this - Door frame

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best way to tackle this - Door frame
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   18th Mar 10 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, tinkering with the car the other day with a mate, only us at the house. I shut and locked the garage door to take the car out for a test blast, came back and realised my garage door key was in my jacket pocket inside the house. Not only that, but the front door had been locked by flicking the switch on the Yale lock so it couldn't be opened from the outside, plus a chain lock too.

Garage door break in wasn't happening without being costly so I figured the front door would be the best option. I basically kicked through the entire thing Bruce Lee style in one kick and the whole thing has fallen apart as expected. I didn't expect the door frame to be hollow for starters Looks like really cheap shitty setup tbh

Anyway, what should I do here? Some kind of filler? It's got like a plastic costing a few mm thick all along it and I've salvaged all those bits so could stick them back on? I just want it to look normal again with the pieces all back on the way they should be with the Yale and chain lock working.

Any help appreciated. Stupid I know

AndyKent

18th Mar 10 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Short of actually replacing the entire frame, I can't see how you're going to make it look ok as well as being secure.

You could glue it all back together but its not going to be very strong.

I'd ring up a local glazing place and see what the cost would be for:
1. a new timber frame, keep existing door
2. a new timber frame and timber door
3. a new upvc frame and door
mattk

18th Mar 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id have opted for a broken window i think

andy has given the advice id give
Brett
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH there's 3 other locks on the door anyway, so security isn't an issue. If it can be done cheap to look cosmetically the same then I'll choose that option.
a_j_mair

18th Mar 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id try and cut out the damaged bit and replace it with a bit of 4x2 or the like then paint it to match
Brett
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, was thinkin somethin along those lines AJ, or placing a piece of wood in there that'd fill the gap then using filler and my remaining parts to make it look like normal. TBH, with a good solid piece of wood attached really well, it'd actually be a better fixing than before IMO.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep do that, although over time with the door closing against it cracks may appear

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
andys sxi
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the best option would be putting a peice of timber in and paint it, it wont look as good but it will be stronger than trying to fix the frame.

is it your own house ? because if it was me i would get either a new frame (hardwood) or a upvc door and frame fitted

April 08 feature car
AndyKent

18th Mar 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did think about replacing a section, but the different materials will never match in properly. Might be acceptable temporarily, but you'll be matching a painted surface with a non-painted one. Will always look a bit of a bodge tbh.
Andrew

18th Mar 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheapest option is to cut the broken part out and replace with timber.

However, i'd be looking at replacing with a UPVC frame and door for security reasons. I did this with my back door at my other flat for security reasons due to that door 90% of the time is going to be the one kicked in.
Andrew

18th Mar 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andys sxi
the best option would be putting a peice of timber in and paint it, it wont look as good but it will be stronger than trying to fix the frame.

If the piece of timer fits nicely and you fill and sand the gaps you will not notice. However, over time the filler and paint may start to crack.
J da Silva

18th Mar 10 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by andys sxi

If the piece of timer fits nicely and you fill and sand the gaps you will not notice. However, over time the filler and paint may start to crack.

Not if he uses 'wood filler', it's a cheap two-pack product which sets like concrete, really good stuff.
Andrew

18th Mar 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound. Not seen that, nice little tip
J da Silva

18th Mar 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot to add, when you fill the frame, bare in mind it will be a twat to sand down, so get it as square as you can.
Jules S
Premium Member

18th Mar 10 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
Not if he uses 'wood filler', it's a cheap two-pack product which sets like concrete, really good stuff.

Nice idea, but a tad flawed......as in concrete won't stick to anything whatsoever, and neither will wood filler to any extent. Also wood fillers of any type don't work in the thickness required here, so it's a no go.

Cutting a bit of wood might work, but I have my doubts. I don't use these sort of frames for the exact reason displayed in the photos.....they rely on all three locks being used in unison to achieve the British standard when being kicked in.

The potential problem with putting a bit of timber in is two fold.

A/. You will have compromised the integrity of the two remaining locks as the frame isn't in one piece. All locks rely on stability to work, if the frame flexes in any way then the frame will fail more readily than if it was in one piece (and lets face it, it was pretty weak in the first place) you could add more fixings but......

B/. I'll wager in this instance there is an insulated cavity closer and the frame isn't directly fixed to the wall directly behind the frame. More probable is the frame is fixed with straps back to the inner leaf on the inside of the frame. So securing a timber inset is going to be a messy job to say the least. As will replacing the whole frame.

Me?

I'd replace the whole frame , and I'd consider replacing the frame AND door as these things come in 'sets'...and 'sets' tick all the boxes for the insurance bods.
pow
Premium Member

19th Mar 10 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd cut that side of the frame out floor to ceiling and replace it with a peice of solid wood, that way it shouldn't look TOO bad!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Mar 10 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bruce Lee style

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
N16K

19th Mar 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only cosmetic simple fix - fill area with expanding foam cut to shape, small bit of filler and paint spray white
sigibbons

19th Mar 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A hollow MDF external foor frame! LOL whatever next.
Mad Moe

20th Mar 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A splice repair will look shit and wont offer the security. I'm with Jules on this one, a replacement frame is an absolute minimum
deanmcreynolds26

21st Mar 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speak to corsagodfather his dads got a glazing company so am sure if ther is anything he will know!
Bonney

22nd Mar 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cheapest option is to cut the broken part out and replace with timber.

However, i'd be looking at replacing with a UPVC frame and door for security reasons. I did this with my back door at my other flat for security reasons due to that door 90% of the time is going to be the one kicked in.

IMO Ultimate fail.

I found out how easy the plastic ones are to break into. basically you can pop the panels out and in you go. No amount of locks and frame reinforcing can sort out.

Even though the wood doors are a pain in the arse in terms of maintenance they are well worth it.
Andrew

4th Apr 10 at 01:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that not the older ones though Bonney? These had the caseing clipped in from the outside. My other flat still has this type on a few of the windows. Had some changed due locks breaking and not being able to get the windows shut
Dave

4th Apr 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is that not the older ones though Bonney? These had the caseing clipped in from the outside. My other flat still has this type on a few of the windows. Had some changed due locks breaking and not being able to get the windows shut

Upvc doors are pretty pish full stop. Even if the panels are beaded from the inside, the week point is still the lock, all the multi-point bits are controlled by the handle, which is blocked from moving by the cylinder when locked. Disable the cylinder by either drilling or simply hit with a big screwdriver and they break where the through screw holds them in, then the handle is active again and releases all the locks.

A proper hardwood door and casing, 5 lever lock (especially new longer throw insurance approved ones), Chubb bolts top and bottom and hinge bolts will take some getting into.

As for the original post, from the pictures I think you will be lucky to splice a piece in as there will be very little to fix to, probably worth a shot before you pull the lot out though.
Bonney

6th Apr 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Nope, If any thing the new ones are the same. As said above even the locks are crap!

New Poll